Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Weekend is Over

Well, the weekend is over, and it was very, very busy. Busy-ness means that I suffer.

First, one of the best things that happened this weekend was that Rosie climbed up on my lap and it didn't hurt! That's the first time I've held a grandchild on my lap in over 10 years. Thanks to the fibromyalgia meds I'm taking, I was able to have Rose on my lap and there was no pain. It came as a big surprise -- very pleasant -- to me.

Second, Alan and I took our granddaughter, Rosie, with us up to Goshen, IN for the weekend to attend my niece's (Emily's) wedding. She's a sweetheart, but she is strong willed and wants to do things her way right away, which isn't always possible, and she doesn't seem to understand that this grandmother and her husband cannot run, jump, skip, and can walk only with great difficulty. But we worked it out, after several pouting sessions, and I think she enjoyed the whole weekend even though some restraints were put on her wishes for activity.

My son, Phil and another one of my grandchildren, David, came to the wedding and they stayed in the same room as Alan, Rosie, and I. It was crowded, but it was only for one night. When you're 65 plus you forget that children don't put their disrobed clothes anywhere but where they removed them -- and when two people in a small room have difficulty walking, hoping they don't fall, it can lead to, well, hardship. But we got past that as well. And David cooperated readily when told that he needed to keep his lose clothing off the floor.

Check-out was like watching an old silent movie where everyone is running around in circles trying to get a task accomplished, but getting further and further behind. We DID make it to church and entered just as the Doxology was being introduced.

Lunch was at a buffet in Goshen, IN, and I just closed my eyes to what all the children were doing. They were well-behaved, I believe. I mean, we had 11 children, the oldest of which was 10, and he considered himself an adult, and didn't associate with the younger children. (LOL)

The ride home was very painful for me. The sciatic nerve was pulsing the whole way. It was a five hour drive, so when we got home, I laid down and fell right to sleep.

I know this sounds like it was a horrible weekend, but it wasn't. Except for a few minor glitches it was a wonderful time of sharing with family members, and cousins enjoying cousins, which makes me happy. I just can't wait until the next event. Really, I mean it. I get over the pain after each event and am ready to go again. I guess you could say, I'm a glutton for punishment. But it's my grandchildren, and I love them to bits. Can't get enough of them, no matter what.

Oh, yeah, Matthew (he's 3) came over for about an hour before we left on Friday, and he was so good. He and I are looking forward to another play date real soon.

mtf

No comments: