Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday, July 6

Can you believe it's already the 6th of July. In just two weeks I'm leaving for my sister's and cousin's -- not necessarily in that order. Boy is time going fast. June seemed to drag, though, but July is already almost 1/5 gone. Wasn't it just July 1?

Well, since this BLOG is supposed to be about my vertically challenged life and the things that don't make that height fun or that require more height, thus making my life miserable, I'll talk a little about height management.

What is height management? That's where you have everything you need and use often sitting in a cabinet or on a surface at a height that is convenient for you.

Problem: My husband is taller than I, not by much, but just enough that he can reach the second shelf without stretching. I have to get on my tippy, tippy toes to reach the second shelf (in our kitchen cabinets), and while I have put items like mugs and glasses and dishes on the first shelf which I can easily reach, my husband seems to enjoy grabbing things from the overflow shelves (second shelf), and of course, I'm the one who puts away the clean dishes and I have to stretch almost beyond my stretch-ability to put those items back.

I tried putting non-usable stuff on the second shelf, moving the overflow to the top shelf, which I need a step-stool to reach, and even then, Alan will grab what's on the top shelf rather than what's on the first shelf. What's with that, anyway? I know he can see the items on the first shelf, so why does he automatically pick the higher shelf to get things from? I just don't understand that.

I asked him once about that, and all I got was a shrug, so he doesn't know why he does that either.

I have to head back out to the doctor again this week -- seems to be a weekly event lately -- to just chat with her about my kidneys. The sweet nurse that called just told me my kidneys were losing function, but wouldn't expound on what that meant. Meanwhile, I'm imagining all the bad things that can happen if I have kidney failure -- one being death -- which is okay-- I know where I'm going. But if I become an invalid, there is no way Alan will be able to cope with the everyday things like cleaning the dishes, washing the floor in the bathroom, squeegie-ing the shower, etc.

So, my doctor and I will have a talk. And we'll go from there.

Until next time. TTFN

No comments: