Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pockets

What is it about mature women and pockets?

I do NOT want to buy any dress/slacks/skirts that are pocketless.

Case in point: Last week the Social Committee here where I live put on a bona fide fashion show. The Dress Barn was kind enough to provide the clothing and the moderator for the event.

As each woman walked the "aisle" we all (the youngest person there was 65) checked to see if the item being worn had at least one pocket in it.

We don't carry purses any more. They're too heavy, I suppose. Oh, I have one, but I only use it as storage for my driver's license and then it sits in the trunk when I'm out of the car. I prefer to carry the cash and/or credit card in a pocket along with my keys, and then the cell phone -- on the rare occasions I remember to take it with me -- in the other pocket.

I have thrown away (or given away, I should say) clothing that I ordered not realizing it was pocketless.

I must get my love for pockets from my dad who always had his pockets loaded down with pens, a New Testament, glasses (an extra pair in case the pair he was wearing broke mid-stride), a pen light, and other miscellaneous odds and ends. His jacket --whenever he took it off-- had to weight at least 20 pounds. Imagine carrying that amount of weight around with you all the time.

Well, my pockets are much lighter as I only have a few bucks and one plastic card in mine, along with my keys. That's it.

But, I must -- I repeat -- must have a pocket or I feel under dressed.

TTFN

No comments: