Thursday, July 17, 2008

July 17, 2008

I love the days my personal shopper/cleaner comes. I especially love the job she does. Magin is her name. She is in nursing school, working p/t at a local hospital and doing odd-jobs on the side to help pay for her next and last year at college. Then she'll be a full-fledged nurse (RN/BS).

So, Magin comes, for the most part, once a week, and I have been only getting two hours of her time because her hospital job was taking so much time.

Today was her day to come and I had a shopping list all prepared, along with my credit card and my Kroger card. She buzzed in and buzzed out with the list. As she was leaving, I told her, I just know that when you get back I'll remember something I forgot to put on that list.

I spent half the day thinking about all the things I thought we might need for the next week or so. I had it in my mind the things we were out of, but after looking in drawer and cabinets, etc., I came up with a list that was, as I had guessed, lacking in some areas.

She's such a sweetheart. She called me as she was getting ready to checkout and I was ready. I had a list that was almost as long as the original list, and she just went back and got those items for me.

This has been such a blessing to me and Alan. While I do pay her to do the shopping, it is well worth it. Neither Alan nor I am able to walk long distances, and every time I go to Kroger's or some other large grocery store, I come home and am shot for the day. My knees are just crushed. And it takes a good 24 hours before I'm hobbling enough to do any good to anybody.

It's amazing to me how the body deteriorates after 60. I do believe, though, that my knee problems are due to (1) my weight, and (2) the fact that I spent four years on parallel bars, pommel horses, and tumbling. Not good for the knees, I'll tell you. Those jolts are something else.

Anyway, I'm happy with the grocery shopping that got completed today. Most of it is put away. And then she was able to "spring" clean my big bathroom, which included scrubbing with a scrub brush the shower floor. I've been pretty good about wiping it and washing it, but those rubber nibs hold the dirt, and I just can't get down to scrub any more. (another result of the bad knees).

She's coming Monday and we're going to reorganize the pantry (as well as clean it out). It was cleaned out well last year when my daughter came for a day and did that for me. But this time, we're going to make room for my pots. I want them in the pantry instead under the counters. Ideally, I would have a pot rack, but Alan doesn't think that would work well, and he's probably correct. With me being vertically challenged, the rack would have to be pretty low and people would be wonking their heads on it.

One more thing, Magin is tall -- 5'11" and she can clean the light bulbs in my bathroom -- the lights over the sink -- without getting on a step stool. I can't even reach them on the top step of the step stool, which at this point scares me to death. So, they go their once-a-year cleaning as well.

Thank you Lord for Magin. Bless her and keep her in your hands. Thank you for the love she has for you that shines from her. Amen.

TTFN

No comments: