Monday, August 4, 2008

My comb over -- didn't work

Well, I still have bald spots. I'm a woman, I shouldn't be going bald. I'm not on chemotherapy. However, for all you other "elderly" people out there who are taking medicines, beware!!!! It's not only chemotherapy that causes one to lose their hair.

I have read all the side effects of all the medicines I'm taking -- and there are enough side effects listed for each one that should remind me that I'm treading on dangerous ground each time I pop a pill.

Blood pressure medicine: side effects include dizziness, spots before the eyes, blurry vision, weight gain, HAIR LOSS.
Fibro medicine: sides effects include dizziness, spots before the eyes, blurry vision, weight gain, HAIR LOSS.
Arthritis medicine: No longer in play as it has started the shut down of my kidneys (side effect, loss of kidneys)
Sciatic nerve medicine: Taken only as needed, maybe twice a year: side effects include dizziness, spots before the eyes, blurry vision, weight gain, HAIR LOSS.

Is it any wonder, then, that I'm losing my hair? No. But why so much at this time. I mean, I've been taking these meds for well, a few weeks anyway. I guess they have just all piled up, and if I was only taking one or two of them I'd be fine, but since almost every medicine I take has a side effect of HAIR LOSS, there you have it.

I'm sure, however, my psychologically savvy daughter would just say it's stress that's causing the hair loss. Well, just living, I've discovered after 65 years has always been stressful. If stress caused baldness I'd have been bald at 30 -- three children birthed in four years? That's stress. Raising three children alone for two years while husband's job takes him to our Nation's capital -- that's stress, especially since the oldest was just three year's old when all that started. Working full-time and going to college full-time and determined to make straight A', while trying to juggle a family life -- that's stress. So, no, I don't think it's stress that's causing this new event in my elder life.

I think my hair is slowly dying as I am -- don't get worried, I don't have a fatal disease -- we're all slowing dying -- it's a fact of life (or death, depending on your point of view).

So back to my comb over -- as I was trying to rearrange my hair yesterday Alan was laughing hysterically because the more I pushed the hair around, the worse it got, and the more hair was being removed from my head. Point of story -- enjoy a comb over on the day you get it done at the hair dresser's and then live with the baldness for the next six weeks!

TTFN

No comments: