Friday, August 15, 2008

A little behind

Yes, I am a little behind. Becky came yesterday and we had a nice time watching the Olympics until 1:00 a.m. then watching an old Greer Garson/WalterPidgeon movie (Mrs. Parkington) until around 2:30, at which time Becky went to bed.

I, on the other hand, watched the next movie, also a Greer Garson/Walter Pidgeon movie called "Julia Misbehaves". I fell asleep before it ended. Bummer. But I do remember looking at the clock and it was 4:00 a.m. I was then up by 8:30 making breakfast for the grandchildren. Yikes! What a little bit of sleep.

I was just too keyed up after watching the women's gymnastics. Both Beck and I cried -- or I should say sniffled -- when our girls (USA's girls) won medals, and then at the medal ceremony when they played the national anthem.

Anyway, Becky and children and I finally got down to the pool around noon. The children enjoyed the freezing cold water and did their olympic swimmer immitations. Then it was time for Becky to leave. I finally got some sleep. But now, I'm fading again. So as soon as I finish this, I'll be off to sleep. And I'm so stupid. I didn't take one single picture of the children and they are growing so fast!

A further note: I have noticed that ALL our athletes place their hand over their heart when our Anthem is played. Should not our presidential candidates also do that? It's the least one can do to pay homage to their country, I think. And so effortless. Why, even I can do that -- stand and listen to our National Anthem with my hand over my heart. So, if an elderly person, who has standing issues, let alone hand-over-the-heart issues can do it, surely everyone, no matter what their presumptive occupation is can do that.

I also find it amazing that several "older" athletes are competing this year and are doing well in their various categories. I think that is just wonderful.


I was determined not to watch much of the olympics -- sort of a protest again China and their handling of Christians (they jail them or kill them) and then my husband was watching swimming -- I'm a succor for swimming, and then it was gymnastics -- well, there you go -- it was all over -- the protest, I mean. I don't watch much, though. I am selective -- swimming and gymnastics is about it. I would enjoy the equestrian events if they were televised at a time when normal people are awake. And I'm looking forward to synchronized swimming. Maybe some diving would be nice. We'll see. The games are almost over (along with summer).

My grandson Dan -- he's 10 -- commented on the lack of the word "God" or any of the atheletes looking skyward and thanking God -- as he is accustomed to see them do here in our country . His mom explained that God was not allowed in China, and Dan's response was that they should take a stand -- either God or sport. This from a 10 year old?


Until another time. TTFN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have been completely taken in by the Olympics this year. Michael Phelps and the girls' gymnastics have been soooo exciting!!!

And, what a great kid Daniel is! To say something like that. Wow.