Friday, August 22, 2008

Knitting lessons



Today I had the privilege of teaching my oldest granddaughter to knit. And to say that she took to it like a duck takes to water would be no exaggeration. She got it right away. Oh, there were a few dropped stitches and a few giggles when she knew she had flipped the yarn frontwards instead of backwards -- or was it backwards instead of frontwards? I had her make a small project that she could finish in the time we had and then I set her up with a larger project she can work on at home. We'll see how she does when I'm not there.
Obviously, I wasn't watching her closely when I was taking these pictures. She was on her own and she did just fine.
We made a scarf for her cat. Narrow (6 stitches per row) and she made it as long as she thought she would need to have it so she could tie it around Pippin's neck.
I sent her home with the same yarn -- mostly because it is straight yarn and doesn't have any frills or sticking out threads from the main shank. It's boring, in other words. But it will give her lots to practice with before we start making a real scarf out of the beautiful bright purple with neon orange, green, and blues yarn. Hopefully somebody will wear it. I think Toria will probably keep it for herself if it turns out nice, because the colors are her faves.
I know that particular yarn (the purple yarn) is not easy to work with because I tried to crochet a scarf (actually my project was to make two scarves) last Christmas and was going nuts because of all the twists in the yarn that make up the main shank. I think it will be easier to work with knitting needles instead of the crochet hook. We shall see.
We had a great time. I was feeling so awful yesterday, but thankfully the flare up was diminished by afternoon today and I was ready for her to come over and for me to teach her how to knit.
Of course, one lesson isn't going to do it because I do plan to teach her to purl, cast on (touched on that minimally today), double stitch, etc. I'm looking forward to the time, once again to spend with Tori.
For those of you who don't know her personally, she does look like her mom, Cyndi, and when she laughs, which she does a lot, as did her mom, she sounds just like her mother did when she was 12.
TTFN

No comments: