Sunday, August 10, 2008

More in the life of an over-the-hill person

All of you who got e-mails from me earlier today know that I didn't make church -- again.

I tried, I really did. I got up at 7:00 a.m., made the coffee, took a shower, got a cup of coffee, pushed my walker out to the porch, sat down to take my pills. That was at 7:30 a.m. I figured if I got the meds into me early enough I'd be able to walk by 9:30 and be able to get to church.

That didn't happen. It's now 10:45 a.m. and I'm still not able to walk more than a few steps before "pop goes the knee". Even with a walker, I was leery of going to church because I know how far I would have to walk to get to the auditorium, so I opted to stay home.

I miss church. I really want to be there. If only...

I recall what we used to call "shut-ins" and every week someone from the church would go visit these people who couldn't get to church, for just the same reason as I -- because they weren't able to propel themselves any more -- and that visitor would read some scripture and pray with the shut-in, and at least let them know that someone was praying for them and thinking about them.

Now, I do get to life group most weeks -- which is a spiritual uplift for me. We are now studying the book of Joshua. A warrior. A man thrust into leadership not thinking he was capable to do the job. A server. An administrator. I could go on.

Last week, though, it was tough for me to get from the car into the home where life group is held. Even with the walker, it was difficult.

How I look forward to those few days when walking is something I can do with minimal pain. I still have them once in a while.

Read today's Runnemede Remembered about how I practiced the presence of God while not in church.

ttfn

No comments: