Monday, August 31, 2009

Loving it!


I am so loving this weather. High around 70 degrees. Overnight low around 50. Fall? No, it's still summer, it just feels like fall. I am also loving reading on my sunporch/lanai/veranda/deck. I've decided from now on I'll refer to the back area (or is it the front area?) of my home as the sun porch, although it is probably a lanai, because it is an extension of the home, and it is an outdoor room, but it isn't year-round, so maybe it is really a sun porch. I'll stick with that.

So on my sun porch I'm loving it -- the weather, that is.

This morning I decided to "sleep in" something I haven't been able to do for weeks because there has been something going on that required my attention and meant that I "rise and shine" soon after the sun was visible from the sun porch.

Today, around dawn (just as the sun was peeking over the tops of the trees) I woke up in one massive body lock (pain). I took all my meds, a little early, but I took them and decided I'd stay in bed and wait for them to take over so that I could walk to the kitchen and get started for the day. A good plan. They kicked in and I was up around 9 a.m., which isn't really sleeping in, but it is a later time to get out of bed and start my day than I've been out of bed for the past few weeks.

Okay, folks, I'm old, retired, and go to bed late at night or early in the morning, and I am able to get up late sometimes, so I do. Remember being a teenager and sleeping away Saturday? Well, I'm elderly, and everyday except Sunday is Saturday, so if I want to sleep, and have nothing else to do, I sleep.

Yesterday, I was hurting slightly, and then I recalled that I had a birthday party to attend -- David, one of my grandchildren is eight (I think) and his party was scheduled for yesterday afternoon. Knowing that I could never navigate all the steps inside my son's home, I called my DIL and asked her if she would mind moving the party to my house. So she did, including bringing along her parents, presents, cake, ice cream (actually it was an ice cream cake), plates, and plastic forks. We had a really good time. The children played with toys after the cake and presents, and the adults talked, mostly. Children tend to interrupt at odd times.

I did very little to help with the party, my dear DIL did all the work, and how thankful I am that she didn't mind moving the party to my home so that Alan and I could attend. I hate it when I have to miss these events, for whatever reason.

Today, after I finally got up, I did the laundry, cleaned up the kitchen, sort of, and then went to the Farmer's Market.

Mentally, I've been preparing dinner since I left for the Market. We're having fettuccine Alfredo. From the FM we'll have sliced tomatoes and peaches with whipped cream for dessert.

I'm functioning well at this point, and am about to get the wet clothes into the dryer. So, I'll say, ttfn.

ttfn

1 comment:

Amy said...

It didn't feel like I did any work at all. I loved having the party at your house!! It meant I had more time to talk to people without feeling like I should be cleaning something. At my house I tend to go overboard when guests are there and want to make sure everything is neat and perfect.

I'm sorry I forgot to remind you ab out the party, but I'm so glad we moved it to your house. The kids LOVE seeing you both and have so much fun at your house. And I always enjoy talking with you and getting to relax some.

I love you mom!!