Friday, August 21, 2009

Hi, my name is Judi and I'm a broccoli addict!


Well, not really, but I have to give a "testimony" here about how I used to hate broccoli, then I loved it, then I couldn't even look at it without getting sick to my stomach, and then I tasted it again, and am in love with it again.

When I was little and my taste buds weren't fully developed I didn't particularly care for broccoli. Maybe it was the way my mom fixed it -- boiled in salted water and served with a pat of butter. But when I became a teenager and broccoli was one of the veggies they served in the high school cafeteria, I started liking it.

Well, I enjoyed broccoli and would even order it as a side dish at the area diners for many years until one year I was putting up vegetables for my freezer, and our neighbor gave me a lot of broccoli. Well, I washed it, but when I put it in the boiling water to blanch it, up popped all these green worms, feet side up! I mean it made me so sick, I couldn't even think of broccoli without wanting to puke. I, like my niece, could even look at it.

Then people started putting raw broccoli on raw vegetable platters and I thought well a lot of other people are eating the broccoli dipped in ranch dip, maybe I'll try it (again). Believe me, I checked very closely to make sure there were no worms hidden in the heads of this veggie. And I rather enjoyed it.

Then I discovered that it usually came as a side at TGIF's or Appleby's and I was taught to eat everything on my plate, so I started eating it again, and now I'm hooked.

Now I know that my taste buds are on the wane, and things do taste different than they used to. I mean, doesn't anyone make good spaghetti sauce any more? And why does cheese cake always taste like tobacco smoke? Do bakeries permit their employees to smoke around the cheese filling? If, then, as my niece tells me, my taste buds aren't working properly, that's really a good thing because now I can enjoy something that is good for me.


That's my "testimony" and I have been a broccoli addict for years now, and I'm NOT trying to become a recovered broccoli addict because I know how good this vegetable is for me and I'm glad my God created it.

ttfn

2 comments:

The Lady of the Holler said...

Admission is the first step to overcoming your addiction, Jude. You're well on your way to becoming a recovering broccoli addict.

Rose said...

:-) the kids forgot to wash the broccoli pot (just had leftover broccoli water in it) and the next day the kitchen smelled like a dead mouse. It was horrible! My son asked if we'd reconsider and join Lori's cause. That awful smell was almost enough to do it for me! Ick!!
LOVE YOU!!!