Friday, August 7, 2009

It's almost back to school time



I guess you are all wondering what a picture of my hunky grandson has to do with almost back to school time. Well, I keep in touch minimally with my family via Facebook. And Shandon (that's him) has been bored most of the summer, except when the family was in Florida. And so I asked him a couple of days ago when school started, and he told me, today, August 20. This summer has flown by.

It seems like yesterday was Memorial Day and the children were just getting out of school for the summer. My son was relieved of his 10-year job at the school district where his children attend school, and now it's time for school to start again, and my son is hoping, yes praying, that he has a job in a new school district by the time school starts. I understand, again from Facebook, that he had a good interview the other day, but nothing definitive yet, as far as I know. So, I keep praying that God will intervene and even though there are many others out there without jobs, God will pour his mercy and grace on Phil and his family and provide a job for him real soon , like today!

Last year at this time, or rather earlier in the summer, I posted a rant about the fact that it was getting dark and that the light was disappearing. Well, I did notice that tonight for the first time. I really haven't kept up with the light and dark this year, I guess because we've had such a nice summer and I've been able to enjoy the outdoors so much more than the last couple of very hot summers. They're telling us to expect warmer temperatures for the next few days before we go back down into the low 80s again. Two days of heat? I think I can take that.

You'll recall that I went to the pool yesterday, but didn't go in? Well, today, I didn't go in either. In fact, I didn't even go to the pool. I was on my way, but I met up with one of my dear neighbors who has been very, very ill this whole summer, and she was outdoors watering her plants. It was good to see her again. Her name has been second on my prayer list since early June, just below my son's name. I won't remove her from the list because she's still pretty weak and not feeling 100 percent, but she is, at least, able to get out on her porch and have some time to perk up her plants with a drink. Then, as I scooted along I met another neighbor, and, of course, I had to stop and chat for a while. Well, by the time I got to the pool, it was time to get home and make Alan's lunch, so there went my pool visit for the day, but that's okay.

This afternoon, after lunch and my travel around the neighborhood, I sat on the porch/lanai/deck/patio/veranda and it was wonderful. There was a breeze and I was able to make a few phone calls out there before the lawn crew got close to the lanai/porch/veranda/deck/patio and I couldn't hear anything. Then, I moved indoors again. But I have to tell you, I loved being out in that nice cool air. There were a few children at the pool and they were screaming everytime they went into the water, so I assume the water is still very cold.

Enough rambling. I just love that picture of Shandon, and wanted to post it, so I did.

My big news of the day is that we have finalized our cruise plans -- we paid for a cruise/resort vacation last year and still haven't taken either part of the vacation, so I finally did it. I booked us on a Thanksgiving cruise. Our families tend to be apart on Thanksgiving leaving Alan and me to fend for ourselves, and so this year, we're fending on a cruise to the Bahamas. I'm renting scooters, so we'll be able to see a lot of the Island with our scooters which I know will do fine in Nassau and Freeport.

I'm already starting to pray around that trip. Praying that we'll both be physically able to do it and enjoy it. I'm also thinking, Thanksgiving day, on the ocean, "high-tea" at 3:30 p.m., then Thanksgiving dinner, a dress-up affair at 8:00. Nice day. Can't wait.

ttfn

No comments: