Friday, January 9, 2009

Yesterday

Well, I hate to be moribund (is that a word?) but yesterday was a "don't get out of bed unless you want to make things worse" day.

I woke up around 3 a.m. (on Thursday morning -- January 8) with such very bad nerve pain that I knew I was having another flare-up, and I took medicine to counteract it right away, but never recouped until almost dinner time.

Alan and I had decided we were going on a date come what may and so I pushed through and we went to one of the nicest restaurants in the Cincinnati area -- the Greyhound in Fort Mitchell. We had a great table with a spotlight right over it, which was good, because most tables are lit only by candles, which I admit is more romantic, but Alan can't see in that type of light, so I was very grateful to be "in the light" so to speak. We both ordered a Kentucky Brown -- not a heavy dinner, but enough for us. We seem to be eating a lot less than we used to. We did take our dessert home, because we were both full.

So, he and I had a really nice, companionable dinner. We talked about our next "dream" vacation to Florida and including a cruise in that trip. And we talked about our dream summer vacation -- a train trip from Chicago to Seattle to get on a boat to go to Alaska. Prices on cruises are down right now and it's a good time for us to finally take the trip we've been talking about for years.

However, we both realize that travel for us may not happen any more. Each trip we take gets more and more difficult for both of us. But I can't complain, we've had five good years (except for the summer he got shingles) of travel and have been on more cruises than I could ever have imagined, and seen more of the Caribbean and Mexico and Central America, including Panama, than I ever hoped to see. We've done things I never thought we'd do together, mainly because until we sold our home and realized a profit on it, we had little money to spend on such frivolities, and Alan's surprise to me of saving for years and not telling me so that we could travel, if our health allowed, after we both retired. So, I thank my husband for that. And I thank God for the years he has given us to travel -- not in our dreams, but for real.

ttfn

No comments: