Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's over

Football season is over...almost. There is that Super Bowl Game and the all-star game, but for all intents and purposes, the season is over. I don't know what Alan is going to do. How is he going to get in his afternoon nap on Sunday?

Yes, he usually falls asleep about 2 minutes into the game -- whatever game he's watching -- and wakes up after the game is over, and hasn't a clue who won. He even fell asleep last Sunday when he and Phil were watching the Eagles/Cardinals game. I think it was Eagles/Cardinals. Phil wasn't quiet either. I was working on my computer and I could hear him snoring (Alan) and Phil cheering. Go figure. I woke him up so he could see the last two minutes of the game.

Football used to be a sport I really enjoyed watching. When Alan came back from Kenya and started his first year at Rutgers, he and I went to most of the Rutgers games, because they were free for students and one guest. That meant I had to get on a Greyhound bus on Friday night, stay with a friend at Douglas (the women's college across town from Rutgers, the men's college), go the football game on Saturday, stay again at Douglas on Saturday night, and then get on the Greyhound back to Philly early on Sunday morning. For the Rutgers away games, I was only able to go to the West Point Games (same scenario to get to Rutgers), the Princeton game, and the U of PA game. It wasn't until Alan's sophomore year that I finally got a car.

We were married just before Alan's junior year and the love for football hadn't diminished any. We went to ALL the games, home and away, and on Sunday afternoon we settled in to watch the NFL games. At that time there was only the NFL, not the NFC and the AFC. Those conferences were set up after we left Rutgers, so there weren't as many games, and the Super Bowl was earlier in January because there weren't as many playoff games. That was the time when Broadway Joe Namath was the quarterback for the NY Jets. The Eagles was always our favorite team, but the Jets came in second, Giants third.

When did I stop watching football on Sundays? I don't recall exactly, but it was probably sometime when the children were in their teens. It doesn't matter when, I just lost interest.

Back when Alan was younger he never fell asleep during a football game. But age takes it toll and now, while he will not miss a game, and I must give up the TV for most of the day on Sunday, he sees very little of the games he watches.

Now I have free access to the TV until the NCAA basketball tournamet begins in late March. Yuck. I dislike basketball even more than I dislike football.

ttfn

No comments: