Thursday, January 7, 2010

A sledding snow







Well, the puffs have been replaced by a good, old-fashioned sledding snow. A sledding snow being one which coats the hills with enough snow that you can take more than one run without wiping out all the snow. And it is really snowing right now. Large flakes. little room between the flakes. Nice, heavy snow. I love it.


The plow has been through twice but the street is covered again. My car blends in with the snow and looks like a lump in the middle of my driveway.


Fortunately, Alan and I knew this might happen -- a good snow, that is -- and got all our errands completed yesterday, so we can just veg for a couple of days if we have to.


I really wanted to go to Hobby Lobby today since they're having a sale on all Christmas scrapbooking supplies at 80 percent off. Maybe tomorrow. A couple of my neighbors were going with me, but decided today isn't a good day to do it. Too many accidents, and the roads are generally very icy since the temperature is only 19 degrees, which is too cold for salt to work.


I look out the window again and wow is it ever coming down. I've posted a couple of pictures, but I took them before the snow became so heavy. I have to say, I'm really loving it.
I'm working again on my own computer having saved most of my files to Alan's computer. His computer works well, this one is dying. Phil told me how to save the things I really needed to save, and most of that is completed. I still haven't figured out how to save my contacts to a portable drive and get it to the other computer.
Phil and David, Becky and her family are coming on Saturday to watch the Bengals in the playoffs. We have a large-screen/flat-screen TV and cable. Those two families have neither -- TV nor cable. I'm going to fix a standing rib roast which I had intended to use at Christmas time and they can munch on that the the fixings while they watch the game. I'll set up TV trays and couple of small tables in the library (where the TV is located) and they can eat dinner and watch the game, which starts at 4:30 p.m.
Ah-ha, I see the side-walk sweepers clearing off the sidewalks. Why? I don't understand that because we're supposed to get another 3-5 inches of snow before this all ends. Maybe they know something I don't. All I can tell is that my neighbor cleared off his driveway and it's covered again. I guess 3 inches of snow is easier to get through than 6 inches.
I'm all over the place today. My mind is wandering because of what I'm reading in The History of Runnemede and the things I want to search out on the Internet so that I can put up a rather long treatise about the history of the town and try to find many of the folks that I knew when I was a child.
I'll be back later today, probably, to fill in the blanks on the snow. I'm glad the grandchildren will have something to enjoy today after school or instead of school. Beck? Enjoy the snow. Phil and Amy, I know you hate it. Just let the kids enjoy it. Now that the dryer is fixed you can just dry all their clothes after they come inside. And Cyndi? Well, I know what your children are doing. You have the best sledding hills of anyone around.
ttfn

No comments: