Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Old computer

I got my computer back from the shop today. It's a five-year-old (plus) laptop. I took it back to the shop that built it for me. Of course, the five-year warranty had run out, but that's okay. I was surprised that I got five years out of it. And now, since the hard drive was wiped clean, maybe I'll get another five years from it. NOT. But it's enough for now.

Of course, they didn't download Windows Office Suite -- that was my responsibility. So I scrambled around the house and found the software, but not the special code that would allow me to re-use the software on my computer. Alan came to the rescue. He never throws anything out, and he found a box of sleeves in which all the software we've ever bought came. I rummaged through that box from the back end, and the third envelope (sleeve) I found had the code I needed, and I was good to go --- almost.

Almost, I say, because while I have outlook, my contacts are, of course, gone until I can get them from Alan's laptop, where I deposited them, but still haven't been able to use them as I want to use them. And I have to re-download my printer drivers, and my scanner software, which I'll have to find, and probably find the code for that as well. Not fun.

What is fun is the speed at which I'm flying through everything now. It doesn't take 10 minutes for my computer to boot up. It doesn't take 10 minutes for Explorer to boot up. It doesn't take 10 minutes for me to send an e-mail. And I can actually type slower than the screen. In other words, I'm not playing catch-up when I type something in an e-mail or on my BLOGs. I am loving that part of the "new" computer angst that everyone goes through when they either get a new computer or have their computer repaired.

I think: What would I do without a computer -- I can't imagine going back to those days.

Now I'm looking at the new IPad. I never got an IPod, but the IPad fascinates me. Alan and I have been considering getting a Kindle for books, and it looks like IPad will do the same thing as a Kindle only more. (Is it Kindle or Kimble?)

It was a fantastic day as far as my health goes. I walked and walked and walked -- hitting six stores, my daughter's house (with steps), and the mail box. Yes, I actually got the mail. The first time in 4 days (not counting Saturday and Sunday). Quite a pile of junk. Oh, yeah, walking. I had no pain today. None. Nada. I can't understand it. Why I have one day in 30 when I have no pain at all, and the rest -- well, we won't go there.

Both Alan and I seem to be over the stomach flu we had. But my daughter's family has it. Poor things. It's a miserable flu, but it doesn't hang on for weeks like H1N1. That is something to be very thankful for.

Well, I'm off to bed for the day. It's been a long one, and no afternoon nap today.

SO: ttfn

No comments: