Monday, December 21, 2009

What a weekend!





It all started on Friday afternoon. I picked up my granddaughter, Rose, at her home to take her to my home for the weekend.

After I picked her up we went to Dollar Tree and shopped til I dropped. She was buying presents for a few of her family members and her teachers. So cute. I also got her a couple of boxes of cards for her classmates.

Yeah, she's doing cards. I didn't get cards done this year. Oh, well.

Then we went to Bob Evans for dinner -- her choice.

We came home after dinner loaded down with our uneaten left overs and dessert, and unloaded the gifts and wrapping stuff that we purchased. She wrapped her gifts and put on tags -- at least I think she got the tags on. And while she was doing that, I was filling really neat containers I bought at the dollar store for the candy game I play with the children at our Christmas time together, which will be next Sunday.

I also got new containers for the money game (I collect loose change all year and then divvy it up for the grandchildren and then play a game while they chose their container of money. I used to collect it all in one jar then draw a name and that person got the whole kit and caboodle, but last year I decided it would be nice if all the children got a share of the loot. They seemed to like that idea better, so I'm doing it again this year.

And I revived the Christmas decoration draw for the grandchildren. So I had to bag them up as well.

After we got all our Christmas "wrapping" completed, we watched The Nativity and then I started to read The Secret Garden to Rose. She had said she tried the book, but couldn't get into it. I told her I understood that but if she had persevered she would have enjoyed the book. And, guess what? She was hooked after I got through the second chapter. I'll get to that later.

After I read a couple of chapters, we went to bed. She to sleep, me to doze. Then Saturday dawned and we had a puff of snow on the ground and car, but it was Rosie's day to have her hair done, and so we headed out to get that done. She looks so cute and grown-up with her new "do".

We came back to the home and she was playing with some of the toys and doll I have in the toy box. I think I dozed again. We baked peanut butter cookies later in the afternoon, had dinner, and then watched Ratatouille (did I spelled that right?), reading further into The Secret Garden during commercials. Since we were both tired, after the movie, I stopped reading, but left the book on the bed stand for her to pick up if she wanted. And we both went to bed.

We woke up on Sunday morning, and again, there was a puff of snow. I was up really early on Sunday, and was watching the weather channel when I first heard Rose moving around. After the weather, because she didn't come into the library, I called to her and she was in the living room, READING! Yes, she was hooked on the book, and was reading it before breakfast, which I had a difficult time getting her to eat, because she didn't want to put the book down.

We played a game (Scrabble slam, quite fun) for a while, and then it was time for her to leave. Bummer. I miss her. She's a fun little girl, and I love having her over.

After I took her home I came back and crashed. Slept a deep sleep. I know this because the phone rang twice and I didn't even hear it.

So, that's the weekend. It was wonderful. I will be glad to do it again and again. My Christmas weekend of Rose -- it's becoming a great tradition.

ttfn

1 comment:

Amy said...

I can't believe how beautiful and grownup Rose looks in your pictures with her new haircut. Good grief she's growing up fast! Is it really possible that I'm the mother of a 10-year-old???

Thanks so much for taking her for the weekend. She always comes home telling us all ab out her adventures at me-mom and pop-pop's house. She loves spending time with you both!