Monday, December 28, 2009

Family gathering

I did it! I had the whole family in my home for a party and I think it was a fun time for the children, which was the purpose. I know my oldest grandson was bored out of his gourd, but he's almost 16. He'll get over it. The youngest, 9 months old was crawing all over the place, keeping his brothers and sister hopping to make sure he didn't pick up something from the floor and put it in his mouth.

I spaced myself out the past two weeks, doing a little bit each day in order to prepare for the onslaught. The first to arrive, on Saturday, was my dauther Becky and her family. They spent the night (Saturday) and Becky was here to help me get the food set up. And there was a lot of food, believe me.

I got up on Sunday morning about 8 a.m., and Dan was waiting, quietly, for me to get up so he could have breakfast. He had to wait a little longer, because I have to get my meds before I do anything, and then I let them injest for about 1/2 hour before I get out of my chair.

Dan asked me several times if the half-hour was up yet, and I told him when I got up it would be time for me to make breakfast -- which was scrambled eggs with lots of cheese (the way Dan likes eggs), and tons of bacon, and toast for those who were of a mind to eat it, OJ, coffee.

After breakfast, I felt very sleepy, so I went back to bed and let Beck handle things until I got up around 1p.m. Then I went at it in earnest, NOT. Beck had everything under control, and I am go thankful she was here to do so much of the work for me. Grace helped by making the salami roll-ups. The men helped by stayin gout of the way!

The Hahns arrived first, then the Stampers. Then as orderly as possible I started the games for the children, then we exchanged gifts, all at once, not one at a time, as we usually do, because with so many small, antsy, children, we decided it was best to just get the gifts into the hands of each person and let them go at it. Gifts this year were sparse, and we decided to do an exchange of dollar-store OR food treats depending on what the giver wanted to get for the recipient who they had. Each person in the family had one person to buy for. Mom and dad didn't participate.

Next we ate, then when the sugar started to really connect (I think it's in the kids minds, though), I calmed them down real quick with "The Quiet Game." All the sugar rowdiness disappeared immediately. Amazing. And when the game was over, so was the supposed sugar high.

All the folks left around 8 p.m. and I was in bed by 9:30.

The best part of the day? WE HAD SNOW! Yes, it actually snowed, can you believe that. Not more than an inch, but what we did get left a nice coating of ice underneath.

The Christmas season is over for another year. I wonder what next year will bring.

ttfn.

No comments: