Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wednesday report

This is a very boring addition of my "diary." Read on at your own risk (of falling asleep).

Well, I'm up-to-date on my list of things to do before Christmas. Yeah! However, after all the walking I did earlier today (Wednesday, Dec. 16) I was so cramped up and in so much pain (I hate leg cramps) that I missed the Bible Study Christmas Party (as did Alan, who was having a very rough day). Oh, well. Next year?

Tomorrow (Thursday) we have a busy day -- cleaning from stem to stern (cleaning lady); food shopping (personal shopper); doctor's appointments (Alan and Judi). After the doc's appt. I'm sure we'll be spending an hour or so at Walgreen's. Alan is out of all his pain meds and with shingles, aspirin and/or Tylenol just isn't doing it for him. He was in so much pain he was actually sick to his stomach today.

I can relate to that, since the cramps in my legs, which my dear husband rubbed out for me, finally, made me ill as well.

You'd think we'd both be used to pain by now, wouldn't you? Well, we're not.

On a brighter note: I got a wider path made in my office. I got all the trash out and put away a lot of scrapbooking stuff. I don't figure I'll be doing any scrapbooking between now and New Year's Day.

The boxes of unaddressed Christmas cards are still staring me in the face, saying to me: Get this done, just write out the envelopes, put the cards into said envelopes, and go to the Post Office and get some 3-cent stamps. Yes, folks, I still have almost a full roll of 41-cent stamps! That tells you how often I actually use the old-fashioned way of sending mail.

But then, if it weren't for electronic mail and BLOGging, no one of my family or friends would know if I was still alive. I don't use the phone much either. I think that's because I worked for so many years and have a permanent tilt to my head from holding the phone between ear and shoulder for so many hours a day when I was working, and I just don't want to be on the phone if I can help it.

I do recall, though, when the telephone was my favorite way of communicating with friends and family. And now that phone rates (long distance) are so cheap, I don't even use the phone. I can recall when one phone call to my beloved when we were courting would cost $25, and now I get unlimited long-distance for $25 per month. Actually, that includes local, long-distance, voice messaging, call-waiting (which I refuse to use, I think it's rude to put someone on hold for an in-coming call), and whatever other perks I haven't figured out how to use yet. That's on our home phone, btw. My cell phone is a little more or less expensive, depending on the month. If we're traveling, it goes way up, if we're not traveling, it only costs $10 a month.

I used to pay $25 a month for 1,000 minutes, but I rarely use that many minutes on my cell phone, so we went down to the cheapest we could get -- a pay-as-you-use non-contract, plus $10 a month.

Now that we're all clear on my phones, I think I'll quit writing for a bit. I must clean the house before my cleaning lady gets here. I don't want her to think I'm a bad housekeeper. So, why? you ask do I have a cleaning lady. Well, there are just some things I can't do any more. She does those things for me. I still feel the need to clean the bathrooms every day, change the sheets at least once a week, do the laundry. I let her do the ironing, though.

What can I say? I've come to admit that I now have limitations, and while I don't like having to have someone do the things that I should be able to do, but I thank God that Alan and I are financially able to have someone help me (and him at times) out with the cleaning and shopping. How long that will last, only He knows.

I'm getting really excited about the party on the 27th here at the house. It's going to be crowded and noisy. I printed out some Christmas carol music so maybe I can get some of the grandchildren to sing for me.

And here's the final note for today: They are predicting snow for Saturday and Sunday. I hope it comes to fruition. Snow at Christmas is perfect!

ttfn

No comments: