Thursday, December 25, 2008

It's Christmas

Yes, well, it's Christmas in Chicago, but Christmas left our neighborhood a half hour ago. However, I'm still on Christmas time.

I slept a lot today, mainly because I had taken so many pain pills that I was knocked out a lot of the day. Otherwise it wasn't too bad a day.

I got five loads of laundry done. Not a spectacular achievement, but for me the folding is. I still haven't put the clothes away, though. They're in the basket waiting to be put where they belong! Quite a pile, by the way.

This is how lazy I have become. I dress in the laundry room. I undress in the laundry room and put the dirty clothing in the washing machine. When the machine is full, I wash a load. If I want to do whites, which I do about twice a month, I hold out the underwear until I get a load of whites, then I do the whites.

I know, that's not the way my mother taught me. She always did whites at least twice a week. Since I only launder once a week at most, I think twice a month is plenty to pull out the white clothing. You have to know that I wash and rinse with cold water and unless I have something new to put in the laundry which is brown or red or black, I mix up all the clothing. If it's something new, I wash it separately so that all that excess dye gets rinsed out.

And I did prepare a spectacular duck la'orange dinner. It was really, really good. I couldn't finish the amount I had given myself to eat, but I almost did. I really only had a few slices of the breast meat and the wing. The rest of my half of duck I put into the soup pot. Alan made fast work of his half, but left me some for the pot.

I cut it with kitchen shears -- which I have never used before -- and I cut it into quarters, with the back the fifth piece. So Alan ate his wing quarter entirely, then went back for his leg quarter, but only twisted off the leg, so I could put the rest into the soup pot. It was certainly easier to cut the bones with the shears than with a knife or cleaver.

I think duck soup (the food, not the movie) is the best soup that I make. I make an awesome vegetable beef soup, but my duck soup is better than that. I'm looking forward to eating it tomorrow, and if there are left overs the following day. Yummmmmm.

I watched several Christmas movies and saw a couple I had never seen before. I thought I had seen them all, but apparently there are a few that I haven't seen. So, since they're showing seasonal movies longer this year, I'll have to check very closely the listings to make certain I catch all of them.

And to all a good night!


No comments: