Friday, December 5, 2008

Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ

I was laying in bed thinking about Mary and what it must have been like for her in last month of pregnancy, carrying the Son of God, and then delivering the baby.

I know with my first child, every little movement my son made, every tightening of my belly, every cramp was a little frightening. Was this twinge the beginning of labor. How long would my labor be? Would it hurt a lot? (Yes, it did.) Would it be a long labor? (No, it wasn't.)

Did Mary have any fears or was she so aware of God presence with her during that time of her life that she had perfect peace knowing that soon she would deliver God's only begotten son?

When it was time for delivery, was it a quick labor? Did she even have to go through labor? Or, was God merciful to her and she delivered her baby with some Braxton-Hix (not yet invented) contractions and then with just a few cramps? Did she even have any cramping before she delivered our Lord, Jesus Christ?

Was she embarassed to deliver her baby with her husband's assistance -- a husband who did not "know" her?

After she birthed our Lord, was he a "good" baby? Did he cry a lot? Did he sleep through the night, or did Mary endured what all new mother's endure -- sleepless nights and sleepless days?

We know so little about Mary and her birth of Jesus, but we know it happened, because it is recorded in God's Word.

These were just a some of things I was wondering about a few days ago.

mtf

1 comment:

Rose said...

Lovely! I have often wondered that myself. And than those shepherds showing up just after- not exactly a pleasant time for company, you know? But, I reckon God must've given her an extra measure of grace- I hope so, anyway.

Thanks again for your BLOGs. They mean a lot to me.

God Bless you!!!

Love you so!