Monday, December 15, 2008

I always knew...

that the extra padding I have on my body would come in handy. Actually, it has come in handy many times.

Today --

Well, let me begin at the beginning. I was feeling really good again this morning, so I went to the Post Office and took care of some mailings I had to do, then I went to Busken's and got some really good Philadelphia Cinnamon buns. Yummmmm.

Then after finishing a bun and some coffee, I decided to finish decorating. I was going to put something on the landing shelf that was Christmas-y, and take away what I have there now.

Well, I got the lights, the angel hair, and the bubble wrap down to the landing, but I forgot there was an extra step, that turns the stairs around. It's been a long time since I've gone down the steps. My exercises were taking me up the steps.

Anyway, I missed the step and fell down the rest of the steps, all 8 of them. Bang, bump, boom. I hit my head, hurt my wrist, but nothing else. In fact, my legs and knees are fine and except for maybe a stiff neck tomorrow, I'm fine. No concussion (I was worried about that because I saw stars when I hit my head), and no broken bones. At least if I have any they don't hurt, so I'll just leave them alone.

It was difficult, however, getting myself back up. Poor Alan. I scared him to death. He thought I was a goner. After a struggle of about five minutes, I wedged myself between the wall and the floor and pushed myself into a sitting position on the bottom step, then Alan was able to give me the leverage I needed to stand up.

Then I walked up the steps and Alan forbade me to touch the Christmas things on the steps. I am to leave them for Tamara or Rachel to work on. Okay. I'll try to stay away from them, but I hear them calling me. And I don't think I'll take a tumble again. Once burnt, you know.

So, I'm okay. Like you needed to know anyway.

10 DTC

4 comments:

Amy said...

YIKES!! I'm so glad you're ok!!! Take care of yourself ok?

Rose said...

Good gracious! What is it with us and steps? I hope you're okay. It's been almost a month since my trip down and I still feel every bruise and get really loopy if I've been up more than 8 hours ( a little like Ophelia after her daddy died in the Lawrence Olivier version of Hamlet). I'll be praying for you!
My husband has requested that I not go up or down any steps at all unless he's home. All the blood really scared him.
I love you!
Stay well and safe & God bless you!!!
Jennie Rose

Judi Hahn said...

Alan was scared witless as well. Poor thing. I think it was harder on him than me (no pun intended). I've been ordered away from stairs also.

The Lady of the Holler said...

Glad to hear you're ok!