Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No news

No news on Alan's MRI. We're assuming (I had a boss who told me over and over, never assume) that Alan's MRI is unchanged from last year. If there were a problem we should have heard from the doctor by now. An unchanged MRI is good news.

I am trying very hard to get myself walking well enough to get to the butcher's so I can get some lunch meat and cheese and bread and milk, all of which we are without currently. And for dinner, we're down to either chili or meatloaf -- Alan's preference is definitely meatloaf, but it's a chili day. The weather is dreary and rainy, and even the house feels cold, even though the thermostat temperature reads 70 degrees -- the temperature at which we keep it in winter.

My toes are cold as are my fingers as I type, and my nose. It will soon be earmuff weather. I wear earmuffs indoors because I get earaches frequently in the winter and the earmuffs seem to keep the earaches down. I know it looks stupid and may even be stupid, but if it works, I do it.

People have suggested a hat with ear flaps, but the air seeps in and that just doesn't work as well as plain old earmuffs. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I put my earmuffs, but I do remember that I was down to one pair, all others having broken. Maybe I will make a pair for myself which would tie under the chin and wouldn't have the plastic head-band type connector. Nah!

I slept very little last night, but I don't feel tired. Of course, I have been on a sleep run this past week, so maybe my body has caught up and now I'm back to my normal 5-6 hours a night.

Well, I went through two plastic buckets of "small gifts" -- those are gifts I give to friends and neighbors for Christmas and which I stock from year to year. I think I have plenty for this year. Some are nicer than others, and I even have several I can use for "prizes" at our Christmas week games this year. We do games rather than stuff stockings.

So, it's a day for reflection, indoor projects, and I'm off to make a few more Christmas cards. I have started addressing the envelopes, and I find that I have so many to address. I never used to do cards at Christmas time, but when Alan ran for the local board, I sent cards to all the residents in our small community, and that was 6 years ago. Since then the list of our friends and neighbors has decreased due to those who have passed on, but the list of our friends from other areas of our lives has increased, so the list is higher than it was six years ago.

I know I've written about my mother taking so much time to do Christmas cards, but she always included a small message in each card. I just sign "Alan and Judi Hahn" and that's it. No messages. That says a lot -- we are alive, we can afford to send you a card, we miss you, we hope you have a great Christmas, etc., etc., etc.

If you don't get a card it's just an oversight, my BLOG will reflect that we are alive, we can afford to send you a card but lost your address, we miss you, we hope you have a great Christmas, etc., etc., etc.

ttfn

1 comment:

Rose said...

:-) I remember all the boxes of cards she had. She could always tell when we were getting restless and if going outside was not an option, she'd sit us down with scissors and glue and pretty cards to cut up. Sigh. I miss her, too.
I usually fill out christmas cards with a full note, too. My problem is that I never have addresses, so I have several boxes in my storage room with Christmas cards that never got where they were going.
I wonder if after I pass on, some enterprising individual will try to find those people and give them their cards. Probably not. But it would be kind of interesting to get an old card from somebody who used to care about you in such an impersonal world as we live in. The only one we get cards from anymore is our real estate agent.
Hey, could you email me the addresses of the family on your side? Then, I'll put it up on my wall and actually get the cards out this year.
You are such a blessing!!!
Have a great night.
jrs