Thursday, November 13, 2008

Alan's surgery

Well, it looks like we're all set for Alan's cornea replacement -- a long-overdue procedure. It's been put off twice now in three years. First, because he was sick. Then, second because the only hospital where it was performed, our insurance would not cover the hospital fees, which, we were told would be around $16,000. So, Alan decided he'd stay blind in the left eye. Well, this year, his eye surgeon is working another hospital in addition to the one that wouldn't accept our insurance. So, Alan will get his cornea transplant, assuming he is healthy for another few days.

I was concerned about being the person going with him because of my walking difficulties. Apparently, they have valet parking and you go right from the front door, into a waiting cubicle where there is little walking. We'll see. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to get a wheel chair at least for Alan, who definitely won't be able to handle any long walks.

We've been talking about going to Bermuda in April (the 17-24) of 2009, but I still haven't booked the cruise because of how badly we're both walking. I don't want to spend the bucks to go to Bermuda if I can't get off the boat. I don't mind spending the money for a cruise, but I hate to miss seeing Bermuda -- again. We went there 42 plus years ago for our honeymoon. I'm hoping I can still operate one of the scooters. I think they have golf carts now for rental to get you from place to place.

The biggest most best thing we wanted to do during retirement was travel and had saved money for several LARGE, expensive trips. It's not that the money has disappeared in the economic/banking debacle, it's just that we don't want to spend money on something we wouldn't enjoy. So, we do enjoy cruising, and wouldn't mind going on a cruise to no where particularly, or even going to some place we've been before, and just staying on the boat. But the way we both are feeling and walking at this point, we're just putting all travel on hold.



Today I'm feeling very much like I have a bad case of the flu without the throat/cold symptoms. Just the terrible aches. Another fibro flare up? Who knows. This week hasn't been a good one.

I was, however, able to get everything done outside the home that had to be done and even did a little Christmas shopping.

One final note: A dear friend of ours, Evelyn Cole, went to be with Jesus this morning. She was our pastor's wife -- our original pastor here in Cincinnati -- he was retired a few years ago, but was still active in the church. She was a wonderful mentor to me, and I shall miss her very much.

ttfn

No comments: