Saturday, November 15, 2008

Making Christmas Cards

How stupid can a grandmother be? I forgot to take pictures of the event, so I have only my memory and writing to remind me of this day.

I got up really early, around 6 a.m. I wasn't tired and I slept well from midnight to 6. I got myself a cup of coffee and took my meds. I purposely didn't take any at bedtime last night because I wanted to see if it made any difference in my sleeping ability and pain relief through the night. No noticeable difference, so I'm opting out of the drugs again tonight.

I was feeling very well, as I mentioned, so I called Amy and asked if she could bring her three oldest over to make Christmas cards. Well, there was a minor glitch, so only David and Rachel came over. Each child made 6 cards. They were cute cards and they did a good job, both of them.

Rachel, I must say, does have artistic talent, and she's ambidextrous. She was flipping those pencils and markers back and forth between both hands, and for a 5 year old, she does an amazing job at what she sets out to do. (She might be 6, but I think she's 5)

After the card making the children colored for a while, and Rachel's coloring was amazing -- I mean she didn't go out of the lines at all, and all the color inside the lines was neat and even. I don't think I could do any better than she did.

So, it was a good afternoon with those two grandchildren. Hopefully next week, I'll see some of my other grandchildren and get to make cards with them. But sickness keeps cropping up, and to protect Alan before and after surgery, we keep sick children away from him.

I'm so looking forward to Christmas. Rachel loves jewelry. So I gave her some dollar-store stuff that I had put away -- I keep a drawer of dollar store items for the grands, and let them choose what they want. It's difficult, however, to find things for boys -- at least my boys -- at the dollar store. Girls are easier to please. But I try to keep the drawer stocked. So, back to Rachel -- I'm going to make her a jewelry box for Christmas -- I bought some plain boxes at the dollar store, and I can decoupage one of them and put her name on it in gold glittery letters and put a neat "lock" on it and she'll have her own jewelry box. She told me she wished she had one because Rose -- her older sister -- has one.

That's how the day went.


I make plain old hamburgers for dinner, and Alan said they were the best hamburgers he's had in ages. Who knew? All I had to do was pat some ground round into a patty and salt and pepper it and fry it up in a pan (no fat added) with some onions on the side and he was happy. I'm glad I could make him happy. I try to do that at least once a day. :)

mtf

1 comment:

cherokeefox said...

Hello, I found your blog through your comment on Cake Wrecks. I think it is great that you are writing. It is something I have only recently found a great need to do. I too have grandchildren (4) and love to color and do art projects with them. This post has also given me the idea to take my store bought X-mas cards and add something to them, like glitter or other things to kind-of turn them into a scrapbooking project without the scrapbook. Thanks for the idea. Your grandchildren will always remember these special times spent one on one with you. My best childhood memories are times spent with my grandparents, they taught me so much. Keep up the good work.