Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Still without electricity

My poor daughter, Cyndi and her family, is still without electricity. I'm supposed to go over tomorrow for my weekly visit and help-her-out day, and she has warned me to bring something to do because there's no TV (which I never use at her house anyway), and there's no radio (which I used once). I told her, I always bring something to do, I just don't always do it.

Last week I laid down on her "down" filled couch and promptly fell asleep. What a comfortable sofa. I want one!

It was only for a few minutes, the dog woke me. They have the nicest dog. "Fair Mare" -- is that how it's spelled -- he's named after a character in Lord of the Rings a series of movies I've never seen, nor have I read the books. Maybe some day I will, but I'm just not interested.

Anyway, Fair Mare waked me. Now Fair Mare doesn't like everyone who comes in their house. In fact most people are barked at and he ignores them after they come. Me? He seems to really like me. He comes when I call him. He loves to be petted. He loves to lick my legs (yuck), and he is generally a nice-tempered dog. He doesn't like Alan, though, and that really bothers Alan because he really, really loves dogs, all dogs. He wants a dog. I don't want another dog. But I digress.

So after the dog woke me -- I figure I got about 5 minutes based on the movement my watch's minute hand made from the time I laid down and the dog woke me -- I started working my logic puzzles.

I had taken a book to read, a logic puzzle book, a Sudoku book, knitting -- two projects --, and my shopping list to work on because my granddaughter and I were going shopping after the children returned from their weekly home-school gym class at the local sports center.

So tomorrow, I do this again, while Ellie sleeps. That's what I do, I sit and listen for Ellie and am there in case there's a problem with her while the rest of the family is gone. But when they get home I get to spend some precious time with three of my precious grandchildren.

I'm so glad God has given me grandchildren. My one regret -- the old body doesn't work well and I can't do the fun things I envisioned doing with them before they were born. But God knows my heart and I hope the children do as well. I do what I can with them, wishing I could do more.

I think that's because I don't think I did enough with my own children. I was not a TV mom. I think I was a mom like my own mother. Now, that's not so bad, is it!


ttfn

No comments: