Thursday, March 11, 2010

What a day yesterday was.

Yesterday -- a day that I'd rather put out of my mind forever.

Alan had his MRI. Okay, so I was prepared for a LONG, LONG, day sitting in a waiting room and listening to the thrum, thrum, thrum of the machine as I read from my Kindle. I guess the new MRIs are shorter than the old ones. Faster. He was only on the slab for two hours instead of the usual six plus hours. That was good. I did grab a few minutes to run over to Panera's to get some great bread to freeze.

Well, when Alan got off the slab he had a bit of trouble walking. Nothing new there. So after he entered the waiting room, we sat and waited for his legs to get to what we thought was back to normal.

I forgot to mention that this waiting room actually had comfortable chairs and even a sofa which was as comfy as my own sofa at home.

So, we walked out to the car, which I had parked about 20 steps from the door of the MRI place. I think I counted 24 -- I do that from time to time -- count steps as I'm walking. Anyway, no problem getting him into the car. We had a discussion about where we might go for late lunch, early supper -- it was around 3:30 p.m. Well, I should have gone to a place that I like (Izzy's), instead of going to IHOP which I can't stand. Izzy's would have been take-out. IHOP, not so much. The chairs in IHOP apparently are not good for him, and this happens everytime he goes there, which he seems to forget, but which I will never forget again. The chairs are built so that the circulation in his (and my) legs are cut off, and basically the legs fall asleep. Well, that's what happened to my dear husband yesterday.

After he finished eating he made his usual, compulsory trip to the men's room. And promptly collapsed. Just like he did at the Grand Canyon. A man went in and found him trying to get up off the floor, and since I was waiting by the RR doors, this dear man knew I was the person he should look for. Well, we (this dear man and I)got him into a chair wth no help from any staff persons, and I went out to the car to get the walker. I got him hoisted to an upright position and he was able to walk about 10 steps before his legs gave out again. Can you believe that during that whole time not one IHOP staff person asked if they could help? Several customers did, but not one IHOP staffer. Believe me, IHOP is off my list for the rest of MY life.

Picture this: Alan going 10 steps at a time to get out to the car which WASN'T parked real close to the exit, nor was there a possibility that I could move the car close to the exit at IHOP. We had just come from the hospital MRI and I suggested taking him back to the hospital. He said emphatically: "NO!" Alrighty then.

So with me lifting him and with the aid of the walker I was able to get him to the car, with lots of "Please, Jesus, just give him three more steps. Please, Jesus, just give him two more steps." Etc., etc.

When I got him home I ran into the house and got the wheel chair to get him the rest of the way to his chair -- which is actually my chair, but which he took as soon as we got it home. I digress.

He was able for the rest of the day to make his trips to the bathroom, kitchen, office, bed, etc. by himself. And today he is almost back to normal, but says he hurts.

He hurts? He should feel my body. I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck. I hope the doctor is happy with the outcome of the MRI. And I'm glad we don't have to go through that until next year, when I'll bring the wheelchair with us instead of just the walker! And....

ttfn

No comments: