Monday, March 15, 2010

It's Monday!

Where, oh where, did the end of last week go? I don't know.

Alan is improving, but last night he was sick to his stomach, and that wasn't good. Today? I don't know, he's still sleeping. I let him sleep as much as he can because he only gets his sleep in short spurts. His back is getting worse, and the pain is increasing. This has nothing to do with the rubbery legs.

Okay, moving on. I know this BLOG is about growing old and the ailments and survival techniques of this age, but sometimes I feel it's so depressing to be always listing the downside of getting older. There are positives.

(1) I know more every day! I'm smarter now than I was 10 years ago.
(2) My grandchildren are getting older and their antics are such a pleasure to read or hear about.
(3) God is more a part of my life than he was a week ago. The older I get, the more I talk to God and try to hear what he's saying to me.
(4) I don't have to be on a schedule of any sort. I can take one day at a time, and enjoy each day as I live it.
(5) I don't have to feel guilty if I spend all day in bed. I can sleep when I want, and do laundry at 3 a.m. if I want.
(6) I get discounts almost every place I purchase something. There are old folks days at almost every restaurant and small grocery store.
(7) Heaven is nearer everyday! See my Lord face to face is nearer every day!

And the list goes on and on and on.

I wish I knew, however, why I feel it's my responsibility to make sure we all get to Runnemede for the celebration of the church. Yes, I'm the oldest in the family at this point, but shouldn't I be able to leave it up to everyone else who is going to the event to take care of themselves? I guess there needs to be someone to coordinate everything, but am I the one? I seem to be. I know I will feel bad if something goes wrong, if someone doesn't show up, etc.

I want so badly for this to be a great "family reunion" because let's face it, the next reunions will be for funerals -- this is going to be a fun experience. Funerals are not fun events. I pray that the families can all get to Runnemede for those few days and we can enjoy each other for that time.

ttfn

2 comments:

Lori said...

It's the oldest child syndrome to be the one to make sure everything is perfect when it comes to family things. Just the way our minds work, I guess. I know it's that way in our family. But, don't worry. We're coming and we're getting it all figured out. So, you don't have to worry about this side of the family. :-)

Judi Hahn said...

Only if the first child is a girl. Alan is a first child and doesn't have a clue. Phil is a first child, and doesn't have a clue. Becky is the first girl and has the syndrome -- organizing things to the point of exhaustion and perfection. You're right though, the Lord is in this, I'm certain, and it will all work out.