Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'm not missing, sick, nor dead

I've just been enjoying the few days of sunshine that we recently had in our area of the country. The weather today was wonderful, but it's beginning to rain now, and we're in for four or five days of wet weather. At least it's not "white" as a friend of mine put it.

Yes, I've been enjoying the sunny, warmish weather and spending time on my dirty sun porch. I sit out there for as long as I can stand looking at the winter dust and dirt and the empty plant pots with the sticks of old plantings sticking up through the dirt. I know what I need to do, and so far I've gotten only two small things accomplished. I was going to have my house-cleaner tackle the pots for me, but we ran out of time this week, so I either have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and stop whining and complaining about the dirt and clean it myself, or wait another couple of weeks until my cleaning lady can do it.

I do enjoy the sun and the birds flitting from tree to tree, so maybe the dirt is worth that much at least.

And yes, I've been enjoying my Kindle and the mini-library I've installed on it. I read a couple of really good books in the past few days: Just Jane by Nancy Moser, and Saving Sailor by Renee Rica. Just Jane is about Jane Austen -- a biography -- not unlike Becoming Jane, but more factual, and in some places tedious, but all-in-all very enjoyable.

Saving Sailor is written by an Italian woman about the 9th year of the heroine -- the most memorable year of her life was the year she was 9 years old, she says, and then proceeds to describe that year and her turning into a 10-year-old. It is a very funny book. Written like an Italian -- at least like the Italians I know. There's that sense of humor that I grew up with, and the familiality that I'm so familiar with. I really recommend this book. I'm getting ready to read the sequel, mainly because I like to laugh.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. Alan is finally getting his full-body MRI which we postponed from mid-February. He's not coughing any more, so I figure it's okay to have it now. He has an appointment with the oncologist next week and the MRI is needed for that appointment. Anyway, these MRIs usually take us 6-10 hours depending on how many stops Alan puts on them while he's laying on the slab. His back gets very, very painful.

I'll have my Kindle and a stock of books, so I'll be fine.

Now, I'm off to make a coconut/peanut/beef/noodle casserole for dinner. It's something I make a lot, but I'm changing the recipe a little bit to match something I saw on Iron Chef America last weekend. I hope Alan likes it. He's lost 20 pounds in the past month. Good for him. I wish I could keep pace with him, but I've only given up 10, which I'm sure I'll get back as soon as I'm finally over this tiredness and lack of desire to put fork from plate to mouth.

So, I'm off to the kitchen.

ttfn

No comments: