Friday, June 19, 2009

So, I went to the pain clinic today

I went to the pain clinic today. To me it seemed a waste of time. The doctor asked questions, put the info into his handy-dandy laptop computer, which he carried into the examining room with him, and felt me up a bit (Alan was sitting there, so he didn't feel too much), and decided what I needed.

I could have told him what I needed. I need something that will allow me to function as a nearly-human being. You know, walking, cleaning, cooking, sitting, sleeping, etc.

So, I will be going back to the clinic several times next week. I have to get an MRI on Monday. Pray for me. I hate those things, only because I saw this dumb movie once in which the MRI operator dropped dead and the person inside the MRI was stuck there for hours until someone else came in the room. After my first MRI, where I had a panic attack remembering that movie, I always take someone with me, just in case. I mean, you never know, do you?

Also on Monday I'm being fitted for a TENS unit. That's supposed to help stimulate the muscles and make them function better so that the pain isn't so bad. I can't figure out how that will help with bad bones, but apparently having bad bones isn't an issue at the pain clinic. And they're getting the big bucks because a TENS unit is covered completely by Medicare and/or our secondary insurance, as is the fitting, etc.

Speaking of which, Alan and I were discussing the health care issue this morning, after the doctor's appointment and we decided that it's good that we're getting all this stuff done now, because when the new "free" government health care kicks in, we old folks will be put on rationed health care. Did you all know that? Oh, yeah. So, we're getting done as much as we can now while it's still an option.

Then on Wednesday or Thursday I will get shots or an epidural depending on what the MRI shows. I think I would prefer a cortisone shot rather than an epidural, but I'm willing to get whatever the doctor thinks will work.

I've tried the "diet" route, and have researched extensively what to eat for bone pain and arthritis, and maybe it's working as it should -- now there's a scary thought -- but I don't feel like it is.

And, I'm sorry sis, I'll have to postpone my trip to visit with you for at least a week, maybe longer depending on the regime the doctor puts me on. Bummer!

ttfn

1 comment:

wabisabigirl said...

Judi, awhile back my computer crashed and I had to rebuild my blog list and I forgot you had this blog too! I'm glad I found it on your RR blog. Sorry you're in pain! I'm praying for your MRI...the thought of one makes me a little panicky too!