Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gracie is ten!

Gracie is one of my grandchildren. She is the quiet one -- just like her mother. I love Gracie. I love all my grandchildren, and each one is special in a different way. Today is her birthday and she is ten.

Gracie is special in one way that no other grandchild could ever be special. She was born on the day that my husband was sent to Little Rock, Arkansas to receive treatment for multiple myeloma. His life expectancy at that time was one year. Well, my husband is still alive, and every year that Gracie has another birthday and Alan is still alive is a milestone. So, as Gracie is ten, my husband has been given 10 more years, and I have enjoyed his company for as long as my dear granddaughter has been alive.

I missed her birth, but the first event of really getting to know her, was when she was about three months old and she was dedicated at church. It was a Sunday, of course. It was also the day my husband started to lose his hair (from the chemotherapy). It wasn't coming out as he combed it. It was shooting out. I felt sorry for the lady sitting behind him in church. No kidding it was spitting off his head like nothing I'd ever seen or imagined.

When we got back to my daughter's home after church I just pull it out, and it didn't hurt, and by the end of my pulling session Alan was completely bald. Gracie was obivious to all that "excitement" of course, and she was so well behaved for a baby. She was so bright eyed and so pretty.

If you look at the picture, you can see that she is still beautiful. She's the lady in the back, standing up. With her in this picture are her brother, Dan, and her sister, Annie.

But today is Gracie's day. Happy birthday sweetheart. I hope it was a great day for you.

ttfn

No comments: