Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Packing

Alan was determined to have the car packed today. Well, it didn't happen.

He was so determined that he ordered me to get the suitcase packed so he could lug it to and put it in the car. That is never going to happen. One thing I don't need is for him to ruin his back even more before this trip and then have to suffer through three weeks of him suffering more than he will be suffering anyway. Does that make sense?

So, I didn't pack the suitcase. I reminded him that I had arranged for my son, Phil, to come over on Thursday night, and pack the car. He didn't want Phil to do that, and I feel like I'm taking advantage of Phil's non-ability to say "no" to mom, but Alan can't lift that case. You see, he was determined to take ONE LARGE suitcase, whereas I wanted to take two small suitcases -- easy to lift, easy to pack into the trunk, and easy to get out of the trunk. But, no, we're not doing that. If it were the two smaller bags, we could easily lift them and put them into the trunk. But this hulking big thing -- we really need a crane to get it in there, and on the other end, we're going to have to unpack it in the trunk in order to get it out of the trunk --Do you see where I'm going with this?

My personal assistant, formerly known as my personal shopper/maid loaded my hanging clothes in the car today, which was a big help. Since I didn't know what I wanted to take, and don't know whether it's going to be hot or cold, I had to take clothes for all seasons. So, I just grabbed all the hanging clothes I have, and put them in the car. Overkill, I realize, but I did get that task completed in time for someone to help. On the other end, as is my custom, and has been for several years now, I'll take out one outfit a day, which will go into the laundry after that day. No heavy lifting, just one hanger. Easy does it.

The house is sparking clean for my sitters. I hope they enjoy the clean, fresh smell and I hope that I have remembered to have plenty of paper products on hand for them in the weeks to come.

Tomorrow I'll put the kiddie stuff into the trunk along with the family heirlooms with the "D" on them for Micah Drexler's wife. I think she's probably the only niece/nephew in-law that hasn't receive any Drexler memorabilia, so I'm taking care of that.

I have my huge brown paper and crayons and markers so the kids can make a MURAL commemorating the trip/event. I want them to leave their mark and we'll pass the MURAL around from time to time so the children can see and recall this weekend at their grand-grandparent's home, and hearing about their lives (the great grands, that is) and how they were deeply rooted in their God and trained us to love Him as they did.

I have to admit that some of us love Him (God) more than others, but God is faithful to His word, and he promises that those of us who ...train up a child in the way he should, when he is old he won't leave that training... a promise we claim for those whose God is not as near as He should be.

BTW, I fit in the I don't love him enough category. I love the Lord, but I know my failing in the love unconditionally category. It's a goal I aim for. Fortunately, God loves me unconditionally, and I have to revel in that -- just wish I reveled more often.

ttfn

No comments: