Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday's musings

I received a call from my little sister (figuratively and relatively) today.  She calls me almost every Sunday, and I so look forward to those calls.  If I don't hear from her by 8 p.m., I try to remind myself to call her, but I rarely do.  I'm not a good telephone caller.

But she called me today and, as usual, we were reminiscing about when we were children, and because today's weather, both here and there, is so typically October, late October, actually, even though it's really early October, we were enjoying the fall weather.  It's been really cool lately and I'm loving it.

I turned the heater on and I set it low.  It was too low for Alan so he bumped it up. Then it was too high for me, so I set it lower, but not as low as I had originally set it.  So, inside is comfy, outside is cool.  The sunporch is just right!  So, I've been spending time out there.

Yesterday a wasp attacked me when I opened one of the sliders to allow a little cool air into the 88-degree porch.  I franticly looked for my wasp spray.  It's never where I remember putting it the last time.  By the time I found the wasp spray, I couldn't find the stupid wasp. 

Then as I sat down to read, the buzzard dive bombed at me and I got up to get the spray which I had found.  Dumb of me to not keep it in my hand.  Well, I wasn't going to be out-smarted by a wasp, so that's exactly what I did.  I kept the bug spray in my pocket, ready for the next attack.  There wasn't one, but as I started to go in the house, I saw the wasp again, and in order to keep it from going into the house, I shut the screen door between the house and the porch.  That was the wrong thing to do because the wasp disappeared, and I'm thinking it must have gone in the house.

So now I have the bug spray in my walker basket, and I'm watching the windows and other areas where wasps like to fly and crawl, and hopefully I'll find it so I can kill it.  Do you think it knows that it's life is doomed if I see it again?

Back to sis's phone call:  We were talking about the Halloween parties that the church had when we were children -- or were they just costume parties.  My dear mother would dress herself up in something -- she went as a nurse one year.  She was a nursing student when she got pregnant with me, so she had the uniform and cap she used for that party.  One year she went as a bride.  She wore my great-grandmother's wedding gown (which I still have in my grandmother's trunk).  She went as a man. 

And we were talking about her burning a cork to make black stuff for our faces so we could go as hoboes.  And we went as ghosts -- she had saved a sheet that had seen better days and made four ghost costumes out of the sheets.  She made me a Snow White costume one year.  Do you remember that, Deb?  I remember her sewing the black vest and the skirt. 

Yeah, those were fun times.  I remember one year I wouldn't look anyone in the eyes, I kept my head down the whole time, and I won because without looking at my black eyes they couldn't tell who I was.  I hid my hands, as well.  My nail-bitten fingers would have been a dead give-away.  My friend Patty Wilson told me to hide my hands because that's how she recognized me.

Now, to today.  Alan and I have been fighting something for the past week.  He has a stomach problem one day and feels like crud and has a low-grade fever, then I have it the next day.  Yesterday, I had a higher fever, and felt just awful.  Never did throw up, in fact, I don't think I got out of the bed once between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.  I slept a lot.  I miss the ending of a couple of old movies.  That happens a lot.  Who got kicked off Survivor this week?  I fell asleep!

But today I'm feeling good and getting a few things done around the house. I have my monthly Scrapbooking meeting tomorrow night, and I'm almost ready for that.  I mean the supplies are out and the card kits are ready.  I have to vacuum and clean the kitchen floor, and I'm all set.

So, I'm going to go back to reading another book -- this time it's a mystery and I just started it, and it grabbed me on the first page.  I love books that grab me right away.  I'm not patient and don't like to read several pages to get into the tale. 

So -- ttfn.

1 comment:

The Lady of the Holler said...

So what's the title of your mystery book??