Friday, October 30, 2009

I held Jack



Jack, my youngest grandchild (pictured here) is a little over seven months old.  Where did the time go?  I held him right after he was born for a few minutes. Then time just went by and I hadn't held him again until yesterday. 

He's such a sweet little boy, and he looks like his mama did when she was his age.  If I had any pictures of my third child at that age, I'd put them side by side for comparison.  Well, I do have one, teeny, tiny picture, but scanning it in is not an option.

Why is it few pictures are taken of the second, third, fourth, etc., child?  Well, I'm making sure my daughter has pictures of her youngest two to remember their younger years, just in case, she's too busy to get those pictures of them.  You see, I recall that it was the busy-ness of life that prevented me from getting pictures of my younger children, my girls. 

Why is holding Jack so important?  Well, I don't think I even held Ellie except in the hospital. I've been too crippled with arthritis, or maybe afraid of dropping her, to hold a baby.  But yesterday, I was feeling so very good that I thought, why not?  So, I asked to hold Jack.  And wonder of wonder, he didn't even cry. 

I have a bad effect on babies.  They cry when I look at them.  Yes, even my grandchildren.  But Jack just stared, stood up when I encouraged him to do that, and I babbled a few words to him.  Oh, I didn't hold him for long, but I DID HOLD HIM.  That's what's important. 

Jack is crawling and pulling himself up on furniture already.  He steps out when encouraged.  Poor Cyndi, I think Jack's going to be a early walker.  But as she said, she'd rather have him walking by Christmas, than crawling around and putting stuff in his mouth that he gets off the floor.  I can see her point.

I did notice that without the walker yesterday I was really wobbly.  I felt like I was drunk and was probably walking like it as well.  But I didn't hurt, so I left cane and walker in the car.  It was a very good day.

And yes, we're already talking about Christmas!

ttfn

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow! He really DOES look like Cyndi!!! Adorable. :-)