Monday, December 20, 2010

A White Christmas?

Well, they're predicting one, anyway. I'll believe that when I see it. Before we get to Christmas, though, we have to go through snow flurries (today), snow (tomorrow), sleet/freezing rain/rain/snow (Tuesday and Wednesday), then more snow on Friday night into Saturday. That's the latest weather prognostication. Guess. Wish on the part of the weather channel?

So, I'm looking forward to that. Alan and I will be alone on both Christmas Eve and Christmas. I'm going to make a capon for dinner on Christmas day. I remember my mother making capon on several occasions. I could never tell the difference between that and chicken. I realize that capon is a male chicken (rooster, unroostered), so I shall roast it the same way I would chicken. I recall growing up and enjoying capon because we got a bigger portion of "chicken" than normal. One chicken split six ways doesn't give the eater much meat. But capon...that's different because the bird tends to be much larger.

Of course, with just Alan and me eating the bird on Saturday, I'll have plenty left over for salad and soup. I was unable to get a duck, which is our normal fare on Christmas day.

Used to be, when the children were growing up, I'd splurge and get a standing rib roast for Christmas day. Just a couple of ribs. Well, I sent my shopper to get a four-rib roast. It weighed almost 10 pounds! And cost -- well, you can imagine what it cost. I cut it in half and we'll get two guest meals out of it. And since Dan (my grandson) will be visiting me on New Year's weekend, and he loves beef, I'll be able to use up the large of the two halves. You see, while I cut it into two ribs each, one side had more meat on it than the other, so one of the resulting roasts is larger than the other. Have no fear, Dan will eat it all up. I know that from past experience. He just loves roast beef or steak. And he especially likes the way I cook it.

I'm almost finished wrapping gifts. Just a few grandchildren prizes to wrap and I'm finished, I think. Than I can clean up "Christmas central" and get my newly organized office back in order.

Did I get Christmas cards addressed? NO! I did not. I only got 13 cards addressed and stamped and they are ready to be put into the mail box. 13 cards -- one for each grandchild. I hope they like them.

So, since I didn't address any cards, if you're reading this, you know you won't be getting a card from me this year. And it's a shame. I bought beautiful Hallmark cards after Christmas last year, and they will go back into the closet, into the card container, for another year. I feel so guilty!

But my writing out 50 or so cards, just wasn't "in the cards" this year! :)

ttfn

No comments: