Monday, December 6, 2010

Salads,

Silly topic for a BLOG title, but I'll get to "salads" in a few.

First, I have to say that our ladies' Christmas lunch (an annual community event for the past 8 years) was spectacular as always. The ladies of the Chain Gang did a wonderful job with the decorations, and the gift wrapping, and, of course, the food. An enjoyable time was had by all.

Saddened to hear that one of my neighbors died last week (nobody let me know) and one of our favorite, funny, women is in Hospice. She wasn't even sick a week ago. And now she's under Hospice care. Life is never a given, is it?

Now to the topic of salads.

I love green, leafy/vegetable salads. My favorite, currently, is romaine and avocado and cucumbers, maybe some celery greens, if I can get them, all mixed together with some lemon (fresh squeezed) juice, seasoned with just a little bit of sea salt.

I sometimes put some sardines on top, or some tuna, or some other kind of fish, but sardines (in olive oil) are my favorite.

Now, I say currently, because I go through phases.

When I was growing up we had a green salad at the end of the meal with a simple olive oil/vinegar dressing. And we kids would fight over who got the bottom of the bowl, because that's where all the dressing was.

So, I've always had an affinity for green leafy salads. But I also like potato salad, tomato salad, macaroni salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, salmon salad, fruit salad. The list probably goes on. I would have to say, however, my second favorite salad is macaroni salad and then I put that on top of a bed of green leafy something, and spritz it with lemon juice (fresh squeezed).

Tonight, Alan wasn't feeling great and he didn't want me to cook anything because of the smell -- today was an "I don't want to smell anything" day. Stomach upset. Anyway, I did make myself a large salad, and he decided he wanted a Cobb salad (his favorite), so I made him a Cobb salad.

I know, if I were sick to my stomach, I would want toast or crackers. He wanted a salad, so I gave him a salad and he digested it well.

I'm still enjoying the snow. We had a few puffs of snow again today, just enough to put a shine on top what fell on Saturday and Sunday.

And...

I'm getting to my cards tomorrow, I promise.

ttfn

No comments: