Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I did it!

I know, I look so much heavier -- it's the new anti-fibromyalgia drugs I'm taking -- puffs up my face. I have actually lost about 10 pounds in the past two months.
Well, I finally did it. I got my hair colored. The first time in over 30 years. Since I started going gray at 16, I just pulled the hair out, but when I started going bald at 23, I started coloring it.

I just used Lady Clairol -- that was the only thing that was around back that many years ago (44). And I always wanted to be a blond, but even using the lightest color that Clairol had, my black hair would only turn brown, and a cruddy brown at that.


When we moved to Cincinnati and I had a wonderful lady in our church who did my hair, by that time (my mid-30s) I was completely white. But she colored it, so it looked "salt and pepper". That's what they call mostly black, some gray.


I remember one time, fortunately it was near Christmas, and something in the toner didn't sit well with my hair, and it turned purple. Well, in the shop it didn't look purple, but when I got to work after my appointment, I was being kidded about my purple hair, and since that was a Friday, I had to wait until the following Monday to get it fixed, which meant going to church with purple hair. Not a fun thing! My stylist today remembers that incident. She was about 12 when that happened.
Yes, little girls who go to your church do grow up and become hair stylists.


That was my last time getting the hair colored, and I just let it go pure white. Now after all these years, I finally decided I needed a new hair style and a new color. The picture doesn't really show the style because I forgot that I had a hat on after the visit to my hair-stylist and it's flat. But the style I chose is a pixie/Audrey Hepburn style, and color is sort of a blondish/tanish/grayish/ non-descript color which will, I am told, wash well.
So, that was our day. Alan and I both had out hair cut. He had a beard trim, and since I haven't grown one of them, yet, I just got a cut and color.
Tomorrow morning (Thursday) is my girls' breakfast day. I can't wait. I have been praying and preparing for this for weeks. My prayer is that we'll all have a great time and enjoy each other's company and get caught up on what's been going on in the families. My preparation has been to select very special gifts for each of the ladies -- separate from their Christmas gifts in a couple of weeks -- and hope they enjoy them. And...
I'll finally be able to give my youngest her birthday present -- it's only two months late!
ttfn

1 comment:

wabisabigirl said...

It looks good Judi! I was thinking about you the other day because Melinda Christian just joined my small group and we were talking about the old days at AiG and "Aloha Fridays":)