Tuesday, September 14, 2010

After the weekend

I know it's a couple of days past the weekend -- a weekend of still learning to walk again.


I didn't realize that I had been walking so differently when I was having the daily arthritis pain. Now that it's mostly gone, I am struggling to stay erect. I realize now that I will have to learn to walk again, sort of.


I don't think I can explain what it's like to be walking relatively pain-free. It's a new experience, since it's been 10 years since the first knee-wrenching experience which started my downward spiral. Oh, there were a couple of months in there when I could walk after a shot to the knee, but nothing substantial. Now, when I get out of a chair I expect pain and when it's not there I'm pleasantly surprised.


I'm still stiff and sore when I get up in the morning, but this afternoon after taking a not-sought-after nap (I fell asleep reading, again), I figured I'd be hurting when I got up, and Alan had borrowed my fall protection (the walker). However, I had no problems and was able to wobble into my office without any mishap. (nor pain).


I'm still enjoying the walks, although last Thursday and Friday when I spent a long time on my feet I thought I had lost all I had gained, but after some rest, the knees were working again, and I can now climb the stairs a little more rapidly that I used to. I still use the railing to pull me from step to step, and I can't, yet, climb a stair step without a "grab bar" of some sort.


Alan had a doctor's appointment yesterday. All is well. And his report from the oncologist is A+. (different doctor from the one he saw yesterday).


Alan is on a diet and I hope he sticks to it. I'm moderating it. He has gained so much weight, no clothing fits. And, I really don't understand why. He certainly isn't gaining weight on what I'm feeding him. He says he's not sneaking anything, so with all the exercise he's been getting this summer, I don't understand the weight gain.


Enough. Dinner awaits.


ttfn

No comments: