Sunday, July 19, 2009

A little relief

This is about The Pain Clinic and what effect the "treatments" have had on me to date.

First of all the TENS unit. I didn't see any significant relief after using that for two weeks. But I did see bruises wherever I attached the electrodes for the stimulus. I didn't put the shocks on very high, just enough to get a buzz, so to speak, but I am bruised all over my legs near my knees anyway.

Second, the patches that were prescribed have been working very well. There has been amazing help in my back on the very few occasions I've had to use them since I started that treatment. And I've been using them on my knees. I've noticed a bit of improvement. Yesterday morning, for example, there was little pain in either knee, and I was able to get quite a bit accomplished around the house. I had put the patches on around 1 a.m. so they had all night to get into my nerve system and work.

I didn't put the patches on last night, deciding rather to put them on this morning. Of course, I could hardly walk when I got out of bed. If you haven't seen the movie "UP" you should. The little old man was feeling my pain, or vice versa. Anyway, I put the patches on this morning at 10 a.m. and now it's a little after 12 p.m. and they seem to be doing their thing. At least the left knee is pain-free and the right knee is bearing up pretty well.

So, I'm thankful for the relief I've gotten. I am going to see the doctor on August 11 and he will either keep me on the patches, or give me a cortisone shot, or dismiss me. Whatever he does I'll accept. I like my family physician better anyway. She, at least spends time with me and listens to me. Dr. Atluri seems too interested in getting info to and from his computer and seems to be only half there when I talk to him. I don't like that at all. When I hurt I want the full attention (and sympathy) of the doctor. I'm not making up the pain and I've lived with it for years. It's getting so much worse and short of amputation, there isn't much that can be done.

I know this is maudlin, but I needed to get it down in print so that when I look back on these times some day five years from now, I'll remember what it was like to be in pain which I thought was unbearable and which was (1) either the worst, or (2) the best of the amount of pain to be endured.

How did the Apostle Paul do it? Give thanks for everything (including pain?) for this is the will of God concerning me. I must remind myself constantly that I am His child and He has my best interest at heart. He (God) loves me and doesn't want me to suffer. So, I shall not suffer but be grateful for His love and protection over me.

Speaking of which (Protection) -- after praying through the night a couple of days ago, Cyndi and Shandon got home without any mishaps. They drove through the night from southeast Florida to N. KY, about a 16-hour drive. Thank you Lord for bringing them home safely. Amen.

ttfn

No comments: