Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ho-hum

I don't know where today went. I got up at a reasonable hour -- before 10 a.m. I took my meds and waited for them to kick in. Well, that was a waste of time because even after they kicked in I still could barely walk. But hobble around I did.

I did the weekly "bleach" load of laundry and dried it in layers because I had a small spread in there and that tends to gobble up all the other clothes in the dryer and it ends up in a ball that has the outside dry and the inside wet. So, I tried a different trick this time. I dried the spread by itself, and it dried completely through. Then I dried the sheets alone. They dried all the way through and didn't ball up. Then I dried the rest of the whites that wouldn't end up in balls and all of that laundry is folded and ready to be put away. Today was the fourth load of laundry I've done since I got home from my sister's.

Then I cleaned up the kitchen (again). It seems I clean that place two or three times a day even though we don't particularly mess it up that often. I don't' know; one thing out of place and I need to clean the whole thing again.

The TastyKakes arrived today! Butterscotch are my favorite and peanut butter tandys are Alan's. So, for dessert tonight we had a TastyKake. At least I didn't' have to make anything for dessert.

What with the fresh veggies I'm getting at the various farmers markets we're eating like king and queen. The food is so very good. I bought a boatload of peaches in NC and we're really enjoying them. So far they're not ready to be sent to the jelly pot. The jelly pot is ready to receive them, though.

Interesting about the peaches I bought in NC. I was talking to one of the farmers yesterday and he told me he was trying to get peaches when he was in Alabama, but they wanted to charge him $6 just for the basket, and then another $20 on top of that for the peaches. Well, he knew no one up here would pay as much as he would need to ask to recoup his cost, so he didn't get any. I told him to go to NC. I bought a peck of peaches, 10 pounds of tomatoes, 1 dozen lemons (four of which turned on me before I got home), and 2 avocados for $18. I couldn't believe how little I had paid. So, he said he might head out to Cana, VA (just north of Mt. Airy) and get some peaches to resell to the folks that stop by his truck. He has to put a sign on them saying they're not from KY. KY peaches aren't in yet. But tomatoes are. Corn is. And boy oh boy is it good. No sugar added, little salt needed, no butter required, just good as it is. And cantaloupe? Well, Indiana melons have long been my favorites and we're pigging out right now on them.

So, the day went by. I made a delicious dinner with all those veggies I purchased yesterday and a couple of pork chops. And then I went back and watched "So you think you can dance". Mindless time waster. But sometimes I need mindless time wasting.

ttfn

2 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for directing him down here. :-) Whereabouts did you get the peaches?

Judi Hahn said...

In Cana at that roadside stand just past your mom's church on Rt. 52. We're still enjoying them.