Friday, July 3, 2009

I really didn't forget

I spent a day, well a half-day, with Amy, Matthew, and Rachel on Wednesday. They came over in the morning and the children played with toys while Amy and I talked. I love talking with Amy. We have a lot in common -- besides my son, Phil -- and right now I'm feeling her angst and pain with Phil being out of work. How I wish I could employ him for the rest of his working life, but, of course, I can't. I don't have a business that would support him and his family. In fact, I don't have a business, so that wouldn't work.

But back to Wednesday. The children played very well. Matthew flitted like a hummingbird from toy to toy to the back porch to the sofa to the toys to the chairs where his mom and I were sitting. He had no potty accidents (yeah!) and he was all in all a good kid. He's just more active than I or any of my children have ever been. I'm just not used to that.

Rachel sat down for a while and colored some pages in one of the many coloring books I have for the children. She is really good at staying in the lines and has a good sense of color. She made me a couple more pages for my "grandchildren's art work" albums.

I made lunch a little after noon -- grilled cheese sandwiches with chips. Matthew wanted more chips right away. Bribery!!!! I love it. I told him if he ate one of his little sandwiches he could have more chips. He shoved the whole quarter of the big sandwich in his mouth and was chewed it up and swallowed it, and was ready for more chips. We went through this three more times. But he ate the whole sandwich. So did Rachel, but she didn't have to be bribed with more chips.

About 1 o'clock it was time to leave for the theater. We went to see "UP". I didn't know it wasn't for four-year-olds, and I sat next to Rachel and she seemed absorbed for most of the time. After the movie was over, their play date with Memom and Pop-pop was over and they went their way and we went ours.

All in all, I'm glad I had the chance to spend some time with Matthew and Rachel. It's usually Rosie who comes to visit me, which is great, but I do need to get to meet more often with the other children as well. Thanks Amy for letting me have a date with the grands!

ttfn

1 comment:

Amy said...

You're welcome :-D I always have a great time with you! We need to do this more often. Now that Phil is home it would be easy for one of us to bring a couple of the kids over. 4 at once is pretty overwhelming.

Thanks for such a wonderful relaxing day. I love you!