Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Great vacation

One of the must-stop places in Lancaster County is the Bird-in-Hand Bake Shop. Such good stuff and I have to recommend the cinnamon buns with raisins (they also come plain and with nuts and with nuts & raisins) and the three cheese bread -- soft loaf, sandwich style, which makes the best BLTs in the whole wide world.

This is a photo of one of the many family-style Amish restaurants that are in the area. This one is at Stoltzfus farm and there are 16 dishes delivered to your table which you can refill as you wish. Amazing, and goooood!



Just one of the gorgeous breakfast appetizers we enjoyed at the Apple Bin Inn. I think this was on day four. Not one single appetizer or main course breakfast dish was the same in the 7 mornings we were there.





This picture was taken through my side mirror. The Amish do not like you to take pictures of them and I was really trying for the horse and buggy (at rest) since all the buggies we had seen were on the road and we were definitely going to get a picture of them. The little girl in the picture was a bonus.










First, let me say that Lancaster County, Pennsylvania is probably not high on any of my neighbors' or family's vacation list, but it should be. We had really great accommodations at the Apple Bin Inn in Willow Street, PA, and our host, Steve, was such a blessing. He built a ramp to the door to the kitchen entrance, just for us. That's going beyond...



Second, my body locked up when we arrived in Lancaster County and didn't unlock until today. I can't explain it, but for one week I cold barely move, not just because of sciatic back pain, or knee pain, but my whole body just didn't want to move. Today? Barely a whisper of a pain. How I wish all my days could be like today was.


We went to Sight and Sound -- a really professional production of Bible accounts -- on stage until the end of October if Joseph. Next Spring is Jonah. I might just head east for a few days just to see that production.


We spent another day at the automobile museum in Hershey, PA. I sat in the car and read, while Alan scooted around the museum. Glad we don't have to go there again. I think two, five-hour stints is enough.


We spent two days just traveling the back roads in the county looking at farms, looking for a phone shanty, which I never found, trying to get photos of at least one Amish school. The ones we saw were fenced and I couldn't get a good shot, so I bought a book.


Then I ran out of battery power and our road trip(s) were over until next time.


ttfn




















I am putting up just a few of the pictures I took in Lancaster County. I loved the place and want to return, and it's only an 8 hour drive, doable if my body is working as it should for a 68-year-old in one day.


















No comments: