Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Another day, another doctor visit

Tomorrow, hopefully, is the last one for a while.

Alan's oncologist called yesterday (well, not the doctor, but his head nurse) and told me, because Alan wasn't here, that Alan's creatin level was high, and that his kidney function was lower than last time. So I wrote all that down, and was telling this to Alan.

Low and behold, this a.m. my doctor's nurse called to tell me that I had a bladder infection and she was prescribing Cipro for me, and that I should make a date with her for 10 days from now. Okay, done! Then the nurse preceded to tell me that there were a couple of other "issues". My kidney function was down (again) and I should drink more water. I told her I was drowning now, but I'd drink more water, then she tells me that my creatin levels were a bit high. Sound familiar. My creatin level was the same as Alan's, and my kidney function wasn't much better.

Golly it's fun getting old.

Then she told me that my cholesterol was high and I should cut out red meat. I told her I eat red meat, maybe, twice a month. And she asked if I was taking my Rx for cholesterol. I told her, "No. I've read too much about the bad effects of Lipator and Crestor, and I'm going to die someday anyway. Does it matter which way I go, or when I go?" She laughed, and said, "You think just like I do."

We're both about the same age (the nurse being about 5 years younger than I am), and about the same weight, only she has diabetes.

The good news is: my blood sugar levels are good and there is no evidence that I'm on my way to diabetes, and my BP is really good.

So thankful for good news!

Alan's gets to see our GP tomorrow and gets to find out about a few matters that his oncologist wanted him to check with our GP, including his ability to faint dead away at any time of the day or night, at the most inconvenient times, and for which even his neurologist cannot find a reason. Hmmm. Maybe it's because he, too, is getting older?

Next time I go to my favorite doctor, that being my GP, I'm going to ask her to refer us to a gerontologist and cry as I wave goodbye to her. I really do like Dr. Caoili (pronounced ko-wheel-lee) and she always spends as much time as I want or need to just listen to me.

Finally, I've been crying a lot lately. I cry when I see a 55 MPH sign on the highway (just kidding, but you criers know what I mean). Well, I had forgotten that the fibromyalgia medicine that I cut out because of the charley horse problem I had on vacation where my whole body locked up, and charley horses was a side effect of this particular medicine. Well, I should have backed out of it slowly instead of cold-turkeying out of it. That aside. The medication is also an antidepressant, which I had forgotten about, because it wasn't prescribed because I have a problem of being depressed. Well, the crying, she said, is probably because I cut myself off from that medicine.

So, as I'm weeping here, trying to finish today's epistle, I just want to say that I feel good. I had a good physical therapy session in which I actually rode a bicycle for several minutes before my knees quit on me (that fact makes me cry -- the fact that I could ride a bike for a couple of minutes) and I got my weights increased that I have to lift with my legs and arms, so it was a good session.

And I'm crying because my personal assistant came today and got my house back in order, all the laundry from our trip put away, the house now smells clean, and a new slew of groceries was purchased. I really missed her while I was away, but she kept my house clear of unwanted visitors while I was away and I always enjoy her company.


And that's all I have to say about all this stuff written mostly for the benefit of my family.

ttfn

No comments: