Sunday, August 29, 2010

More about cherries

Earlier this week I went to a largish produce store not far from where we used to live over on the east side of Cincinnati. I went specifically to that store because they carry items that you would normally find in a specialty store. I mean they carry the normal produce items at really good prices (compared to Krogers or even Meijers), but they have anything Italian I would want to find, and anything oriental I would need. They don't carry much Mexican items, though.

Specifically, I went to the store to get peanut oil because I read that peanut oil rubbed into the arthritic joints is a help to reduce pain and increase the lubricant in the joint so it doesn't hurt so much, or at all. And I also wanted to get some cherries, which I know are not in season, but I thought they might have them. They didn't. No cherries, not even dried cherries, and they do carry a large selection of dried fruits. And, they didn't have peanut oil either.

So, when my friend and I went to Krogers this week we found both peanut oil and dried cherries and canned cherries.

Are the cherries helping? I think so. I've cut back on pain meds to only taking them in the morning. Of course when I get up in the morning it is really hard to get moving, more so that normal, but by the time I rub in that peanut oil and take those cherries and get my normal meds taken, I'm ready to go. The walker is no longer my constant companion.

I'm still afraid to walk to the pool, but I am able to walk up the stairs at our house, something I have decided I need to do at least once a day. So, I ride down in the elevator, and climb up the stairs. I don't go down the stairs because I've been ordered to stay away from them because I tend to fall a lot, so to avoid any accidents, I'm climbing up. I guess I could fall backwards, but so far all my falls have been forward.

I tripped into the elevator the other day, but I found out that my knees were able to support my weight -- a first for 10 years -- and I was able to crawl to a place where I could grab onto something to get myself off the floor. I was also rejoice that I have all those extra pounds -- padding is good when you fall down.

At this rate, the rate at which the peanut oil and the cherries seem to be help with the arthritis pain, I will definitely be able to go to Italy next year.

ttfn

No comments: