Thursday, August 19, 2010

Yikes!

I didn't realize that school was starting next week. I am supposed to get some clothing for my son's children (he's still out of work) and I thought I had more time. Fortunately, Macy's is having a 70 percent off clearance sale this Friday and Saturday. I've been to this sale before, and I got a bag of clothes for my grandchildren for under $25. My savings on this bag, according to Macy's was $295. So, I hope I can do as well this time.

All four of Phil's children are going back to school, so all four need some new clothes. They've grown a bit over the summer and their old clothing is, well, it's old.

I have to agree with my niece, Lori, who posted a really funny commentary on why a child needs new clothes for the first day of school.

I always had a new outfit for the first day of school. Of course, I only have two or three things to wear, and one Sunday outfit, two pairs of shoes, one for school (no sneakers back then), and one for church (I always opted for patent leather Mary Janes for church). I also always had my feet x-rayed to see if the shoes fit properly. Mom always got them a size bigger then stuffed cotton in the toes so they would fit.

I recently heard on Modern Marvels on the History Channel that those x-ray machines we used for our feet are thought to be the cause of all kinds of cancer. Who knew? They didn't way what kind(s) of cancer we are going to get from those x-rays, and I've never heard of foot cancer. Maybe it was just another scare tactic, you know, like that flu we all were supposed to get last year if we didn't get a flu shot -- H1N1? I didn't get a flu shot and I didn't get the flu, nor did Alan. I eat a lot of lemons. They seem to ward off throat/nose things. I did get bronchitis, but not the flu.

Ah, well. Alan wants to go on another cruise since cruising prices are so low right now. We could even get a suite for less than we paid for a balcony room last time. And Norwegian is offering cruises with the gratuities paid. No tipping fees, which run $70 per person for the week. Not a whole lot, when you think about what they tip the various maids/stewards, etc. I always tip extra to those who help us with our mobility problems. And they really deserve the tips.

So, I'm searching for a cruise, maybe we'll go after our trip to Virginia in October. You know, a week at a condo at a ski resort that doesn't have any snow in October, but the lift still works, and then head out to Charleston or up to Baltimore for a cruise to somewhere. The prices can't be beat right now. And this is Alan's idea not mine.

I swore that I would never take him anywhere ever again, because our last cruise was so miserable for him. I did great, but he didn't. And now that he's doing so well, I'm sort of shy of pushing his wellness to the limit. I like him in this almost active mode he's been in all summer.

We're also considering getting a membership at the sports center down the hill. The price for seniors is really good, and his pool exercising does help.

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up a couple of my grandchildren to bring them over to go swimming. I hope they have a good time.l

Until the next time, ttfn.

No comments: