Thursday, July 8, 2010

New Kitchen

Well, mostly new. I didn't really need a new floor in the kitchen, but I wanted the kitchen and dining area to having the same flooring, so the kitchen floor was replaced and so was the dining area.

I say "dining area" because what is supposed to be a dining room in this particular condo is our library. We decided before we moved in that the kitchen dining area would be plenty big for our family, including the times when we have more than just Alan and me. The dining area of the kitchen was carpeted. That is okay if it's just adults, but when you have kids over, forget it. So, after 9 years or spills and clean-ups and stains that wouldn't come out, I finally got a slate floor.

Why slate? Well, what I wanted couldn't be put down on the concrete board that was under the carpeting. So, slate it was. Well, sort of. It's actually a vinyl that really looks like slate, and I love it. It's bumpy, textured like slate, but it's easier under foot than slate.

And while I was at it, I had a back splash but in. Multi-colored glass tiles in tones of grey/black/blue. We never had a back splash, just painted walls. Do you know how grungy those walls get, especially in a kitchen after nine years of at least weekly washings?

When they were putting in the floor they discovered that my refrigerator was leaking and it really damaged one of my cabinets. The one side of the cabinet acted like a wick and sipped up the water. I don't know how long this has been leaking. We'll be (1) getting it fixed next week, or if it can't be fixed, (2) getting a new refrigerator. Alan's also talking about getting a new dishwasher since the one we have is on its last legs.

So, I'm in the process of putting the kitchen/dining room back together today and for a few days to come. I can't believe how much stuff accumulates over the years, stuff that I haven't used for years, stuff that I'll be pitching as I set up my new kitchen.

So that's ttfn. Back at ya in a few days. Pictures to follow after I get it back together again.
ttfn

1 comment:

Lori said...

Sounds like fun!! Can't wait to see the pics. :-)