Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fireworks

I know this is a little late. I know the 4th of July was a couple of days ago, but back problems and not being able to sit have hindered any posting on my part.

This post is a vent.

It was Sunday, the 3rd of July, and what to my ears do I hear? Fireworks. Not the in-the-yard type of fireworks, but real, over the roof, town-type fireworks.

You see from my deck I can see 8 towns' fireworks displays. Yes 8. And on the 4th of July it's quite a sight.

Well, this year, three towns decided to do their fireworks thing on the 3rd. Excuse me but the 4th of July is the 4th of July, not the 3rd. And that is the day we celebrate. Why would a town have the 'works on the 3rd instead of the 4th? The reasoning is beyond me. Alan thinks it's because people have to go to work the day after the 4th.

So what? When I was growing up and until recent years people went to work on the 5th of July and the parades and fireworks were on the 4th, regardless of the day following the 4th being a work day. No one cared. Fireworks were (and still are, I hope) a traditional way to celebrate our independence.

And another vent: The news media spent the 4th honoring our troops -- which I'm not complaining about per se -- but said little or nothing about the 4th being the celebration of our independence and the beginning of our country. Yes, we should honor our troops, upon which we depend for our current independence, but hey media folks, get with it. The 4th of July is the celebration of our independence. Give us a little history, if you know any, about how it came to be, how we declared to King George that we were going it on our own without his help. How George didn't like that and sent all kinds of troops to put us in our place. They lost their place, we won ours.

So, it's now the 6th of July and I'm just getting around to venting about the 4th. I love the 4th. I love the tradition. The parades. The picnics. The fireworks. The family get togethers. The celebration of our independence! And, oh yes, this year I was able to watch five towns' fireworks displays from my sunporch. The wind was blowing the other way, so the sound wasn't too loud this year, but I loved it, even if three towns were missing.


ttfn

No comments: