Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Alan's Kindle

Well, Alan's Kindle arrives today. I know this because the tracking notice tells me it will arrive today, and I won't have to hand my Kindle over to him or feel guilty because I want to read when he wants to read.

He's been reading Bishop Ussher's Annals of the World. He's about 1/3 through this large book. We have the hardbound copy, and it's really large and heavy. I think that's what decided him that the Kindle was a great thing to own. It's certainly easier to hold the gadget than to hold the heavy book. He probably would not have read the book if he had to hold it because of its heaviness.

I have already loaded his Kindle with Josephus' church history, Josebius' world history, and several of the free writings of Winston Churchill. Actually, I transferred them from my Kindle to his Kindle.

I know you're all wondering how I could do this. It's all done in cyberspace, and I was told by the Kindle folks that I could transfer his faves before the Kindle gets to our house, and it will be pre-loaded for him to pick up and enjoy.

I think, though, I'll need to give him some tutoring on the ins and outs of Kindling. Searching for new books drains the battery really fast. However, if you turn off the wireless connection, you still have all your books, but the battery lasts a lot longer. I don't understand why, but that's the way it is.

He also needs to know that at the beginning of each month the new freebies come out -- not that he's be interested in best-selling fiction. There are, however, quite often, spiritual books available in the free section. I always download them, and I've transferred several to his Kindle already. I have enjoyed Philip Yancey's books -- the free ones.

So, I'm sitting here waiting for the man in brown to deliver Alan's father's day gift -- even though he's not my father, he did father my children, so I feel like I need to give him a gift to thank him for the gifts he gave me -- my three children and 13 grandchildren. They are my pride and joy. All of them.

ttfn

2 comments:

Lori said...

Man. Seeing your kindle last week makes me want one SOOOO badly!!! Especially all this new talk about Alan's. That might have to be my newest bday/Christmas/Mother's Day gift to myself. ;-)

Rose said...

:-) Usher's book is GREAT! I don't know though, I love paper books- and I'm not the greatest with tech.
I'm so glad that you're loving it, though and that they have the theology books free on there. That's GREAT!!! Love you!!!