Sunday, April 5, 2009

Crossword Puzzles

I think I mentioned this before, but maybe it was on Facebook.

Alan got a "free" subscription to the New York Times. He doesn't know how it started, he just got a notice in the mail saying he was receiving a "free" trial subscription. Then he got a notice that he owed them lots of money for a subscription he didn't ask for.

Back to the subject at hand -- I don't like the newspaper because it is so far left. Just the other day, in the middle of an article about the Governor of New York, they slammed Rush Limbaugh, saying that he (Rush) should have waited to leave New York because now they have (in New York) new drug laws that would give him (Rush) a druggie more leniency than the State of Florida. That little dig had NOTHING to do with the article about the Governor except the Governor was glad Rush was one of the "rich" people leaving the state.

Back to basics...I do like reading the book section and I always read the editorials and get angry. But most of all I enjoy the crossword puzzles. Well, not really enjoy. I find them so frustrating because (1) they don't tell you if the clue requires a one-word answer or more than one word; (2) something they'll combine letters in one square -- like th -- but they don't tell you that either; and (3) most of the time the clue has nothing to do with the word or words they want for that particular number. But I persevere and every morning I sit down while my pills are working and do the puzzle.

I am so grateful to one of my neighbors who regularly picks up my paper and puts it by my door so I don't have to walk out to the curb to get it. I have no idea how long this "free" subscription will last. Alan refuses to pay for a subscription he didn't order, and I don't want to pay money to that paper for anything, so I may be having to download a few puzzles to keep up this new morning activity.

ttfn

No comments: