Saturday, May 4, 2013

It's Alan's turn

I've been blogging about the ailments that oldsters have to put up with.  And I've been writing from my point of view. 

I was thinking, though, that my dear husband has been suffering quietly for almost 14 years, ever since he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (which is still in remission).  My dear husband grew tumors in his spine (the bony part) which pushed out on the bones and fractured them.  The tumors went away when he started chemotherapy, but the bones have calcified and he has continuous back pain.  The only relief he can get is in his recliner.

Now, let me address recliners:

Alan's recliner which has a handle on the side (it's a LazyBoy) and he is having more and more difficulty raising and lowering the foot thingy.  I, on the other hand, have one of those ejecto-style recliners and it's in bad shape.  It's deteriorating at an alarming rate.  The lever on my recliner is a button that is pushed to raise or lower it.  I, too, am having difficulty with my ups and downs because the push-button thing is wearing out, just like me.

I have to say, I prefer my recliner to Alan's, and so does he.  Medicare helped pay for my recliner back before I got my knees fixed, but after my first bout with sciatica.  I can get very comfortable in my recliner even when I'm suffering from sciatica.  Alan can't get comfortable in either. 

However, we solved a problem with his back, in order to help him get some relief.  We got a therapeutic mattress.  All he has to do is lay on it.  It conforms to his back and he is fine.  All the pressure is taken off his spine.  Unfortunately, there's not much he can do in bed except read and sleep. 

I realized today that I'm tired of reading, sleeping, moving around, cleaning, and cooking.  I think I was a pretty good housekeeper until all the leg/back problems started unenabling me.  Now, I don't even care. 

Just an example of how much I don't care:  earlier this week the shelf/hanger rod on my side of the closet came out of the wall.  You wouldn't believe the size screw that was used to put the shelf up and no molly.  Just two screws into the wall  and one of them not even into a stud.  The screws were not even as long as the screws used to hold chair seats on a dining-room chair.  It's a miracle it held up for 12 years.

Well, all my clothing is piled up on the chairs and sofa in the living room.  If I need to get dressed, I have to sort through the piles. 

Now, if this was five years ago, I would have sorted through the clothing, thrown out the no-longer-in-style clothing, the too big clothing, the too small clothing, etc., and put the clothes in piles of dresses, blouses, slacks, and skirts.  Now I have no idea where anything is. 

Oh, well.  Maybe tomorrow, I'll get to it and sort through the piles of clothing.  Or not.

ttfn

No comments: