Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring and breakfast

I try to have breakfast with my daughter-in-law (DIL) once a month. Well, did you know that April was the first month of 2011? I'm four months behind. Now the conundrum is: Do I make up the three breakfasts we missed, or do I pretend April is January? Makes no difference, I'll probably skip the next couple of months as well because time does seem to get away from me. Where does IT go? We went to First Watch and had a great meal and wonderful conversation. Amy and I talk when we get together, mostly about the children, and more recently about getting back in stride after Phil's being out of work for a year and a half. They're getting into the swing of things, sort of. It's extremely difficult, though, with Phil having to drive three hours a day. He gets home grouchy (well, wouldn't you?) and doesn't want to play kid games, all he wants to do is sleep. I remember when Alan was doing the long commute thing, and he was 20 years younger than Phil, and it was like, "Hello", "Goodby", "See you on Saturday morning." Yes, that was our time. Saturday morning Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd cartoons kept the children occupied for a couple of hours and we had our time to talk over the weeks events and do a little cuddling. I know it's difficult for younger women whose husbands are starting a new job or who are trying to get their businesses up and running well to have to "give up" their husbands for hours on end, especially if there are several children vying for mommy's attention. Regarding the tiredness: I recall that when I was working 8 plus hours a day, which really made for a 10-hour day, I would get home exhausted, still had to make dinner, and do a load of wash, but I did it. All I can say to you women (and you are women now, no longer girls) is, your job is being a full-time wife and mother, which means the duties of cleaning and cooking are all on you at this time in your life. A time will come when he will help you again, but for now you're on your own, but still have the comfort of knowing that he is available for emergencies, which hopefully will not happen. (See Proverbs 31) It is hard, and as a woman who is much older than you all, but who has experienced the same type of angst, I'm here to tell you that with prayer on your part and asking others to pray for you, you will survive. God will get you through this hard time, and he will give you more grace because of it. Special note: Don't nag. Don't beg. Don't bitch. (Don't be offended by the "B" word, there's no other way to describe that action). DO love your husband more than ever. DO offer to help him. DO, DO, DO. If you DO, DO, DO, then the DO, DO, DO will come back to you in time and you will have a great relationship/love-life/friendship and everything else you can think of because in the DO, DO, DO you are also praying through. ttfn

No comments: